Cradle for new member of the family

Milamber

Hello all,

I usually lurk about in the chat, but haven't been around for a few month for a couple reasons. One was had to work 2 months of 7 days a week repairing a flooded lock, and the other is my wife and I just had a new baby. This is my first piece of furniture (that I've finished, started on a table but this took precedence)

I've got to take some more pictures of it, but here is one completed and in use :)

IMG_1562.JPG

It is made out of walnut with a walnut stain to make it a bit darker. All done with M&T for the rails and slats and dowels for the rockers, no mechanical fasteners

-Mil

• Like 1

Now THAT is precious, a true masterpiece! What magnificent even tone and coloring. The cradle looks great too. OK ... maybe I shouldn't have said it quite like that. My odd sense of humour gets me in trouble from time to time. I am curious about top coats that were safe for infants, though. I have heard that most popular finishes are safe once cured but am not sure how accurate the sources were. What did you use?

I have heard that most popular finishes are safe once cured but am not sure how accurate the sources were.

Depends on whether you trust the FDA. According to them all currently manufactured finishes, once fully cured, are kid safe. However, some finishes can take up to a month to cure fully.

LQQK

Nice cradle, and congratulations!

But looking at the picture reminds me of a joke someone told me...

A woodworker and his lovely wife just had their first baby.

She was walking down the hall and noticed the woodworker hunched over the cradle staring seeming lost in thought.

She walks up behind him, "penny for your thoughts?"

He shakes his head in disbelief, "I can't even buy the wood for the $49.99 this cradle cost; how do they do it?"

www.InstantRimShot.com <-- for jwatson

the other is my wife and I just had a new baby. This is my first piece of furniture (that I've finished, started on a table but this took precedence)

-Mil

Mil, Very Nice!! Congratulations on the new one! The crib looks fantastic. I remember when you started the crib... so long ago.

Looking forward to chatting when you begin sleeping again!

Mil, Very Nice!! Congratulations on the new one! The crib looks fantastic. I remember when you started the crib... so long ago.

Looking forward to chatting when you begin sleeping again!

LOL! Unless he's one of the lucky few, we'll see him back in the chatroom in about a year.

I am curious about top coats that were safe for infants, though. I have heard that most popular finishes are safe once cured but am not sure how accurate the sources were. What did you use?

I've heard that too, but I just went with shellac, about 4 coats of it and let it cure for a couple days

Thank to everyone also :)