borrow drum sander?

I'm building a set of ten butcher block type table tops for a lobby. Each is 15 3/4 w x 22 and needs significant sanding. The grain is not oriented the same for each plank so the planer left lots of tear out on a few pieces. My blood runs cold at the thought of how long sanding will take with my 3.5 inch Festool sander.

Does anyone know of a shop near Norcross GA where I could pay to run them through a drum sander? Thanks!

ouch.

router idea is a good one, make sure your router can handle it. I've blown out two new craftsman routers leveling out 10 end grain butcher blocks with a 1 1/4" super sharp straight bit. i didn't know what i was doing at the time but i now know how to level them with care & a router carriage. 

call out to some cabinet shops. you never know what you'll find...

I'm building a set of ten butcher block type table tops for a lobby. Each is 15 3/4 w x 22 and needs significant sanding. The grain is not oriented the same for each plank so the planer left lots of tear out on a few pieces. My blood runs cold at the thought of how long sanding will take with my 3.5 inch Festool sander.

Does anyone know of a shop near Norcross GA where I could pay to run them through a drum sander? Thanks!

Heck your right in Highland and PeachTrees backyard. Tell them you want to take a drum sander for a test drive. :P

I live in Norcross as well. I only have a little drum sander and my shop is booked solid for the next 5 or 6 weeks. If you have the excess glue cleaned up and the boards fairly level you might find a shop that will run them thru for you. If you don't take too much off in a pass it works ok, but it is fairly easy to overload the sandpaper and leave some burnt streaks in the wood (as well as the sandpaper).

Be prepared to pay for several wraps of sandpaper plus shop time. Edge grain boards sand much easier than end grain boards.