tackle box design and construction - need help

Hello,

I am going to build a tackle box for my step dad. I am in the very very early stages of design and trying to figure out how to construct this. Attached is a picture of a very rough design.

The main box will be constructed with a solid bottom. I will be doing the sides of all the boxes with a dovetail rabbit. 

My question is I can't make all these boxes the traditional way in making the box then cutting the lids off right? I need to make the 4 upper boxes separate than the main box?

Also, what do to with the top box. place a grove for a hardood lid on it to slide open and close? All small boxes will have dividers.

Note, the tray lifting mechanism will be made out of a contrasting hardwood. And I will also be inlaying a fish with a few reeds on the box front.

post-2720-0-65245800-1395331682_thumb.pn

If your trays set inside the tackle box than there could be two lids that could fold out of the way of the tray mechanism just like the store bought ones. A cleat across the side of the box would give the trays a solid place to set when folded closed. If you cut your tray boxes 1/4" thick, the dividers 1/8" thick dado-ed into the sides also the bottom of trays 1/4" for strength not that there would be much weight. 

Tackle box's get pretty grungy every so often you just have to take everything out and hose em' down rusty hooks, fish scales how would a wooden one hold up in real world conditions? I know you want to build something for your step dad, and I'm sure it would look great but, for how long banging around in a boat or, back of a pick up bed? The plastic ones don't look like much but, are pretty sweet when it comes to fishing.

• Like 1

I have to second Hitron's cpmment about utility. Is this supposed to be a real-use tacklebox, or a display piece?

Whatever YOU intend, I bet your stepdad likes it to much to get it all nasty while fishing.

Regarding the design, definitely nest the trays inside the box, not as part of the main structure. Stacking those trays, adding a lid on top, then putting on a carry handle sounds like something that would be loosey-goosey in no time.

I assumed that it wouldn't be used for fishing.  Around my house tackle boxes are used for anything where you have to sort and organize lots of tools and parts.  I agree that a wooden tackle box would not work well for fishing.

If you really want to make him a nice wooden fishing accessory, how about a creel?  Or a rack/stand for storing his rods?