How much is there for a beginner at WIA?

I was perusing the schedule for WIA and I am wondering if any past attendees could chime in on whether it would be money wasted for a complete novice.

The fact that it is a 6 hour drive for me makes it pretty attractive. There's also a serious dearth of woodworking classes in Baltimore, and I've been dying for some live instruction.

If you are here and you have the ww bug I would highly recommend it.  There are classes/seminars available at all levels and the market place is an eye opening experience.  Not to mention the incredible woodworking community that attends.  If you can make the drive go for it.  you won't be disappointed.

Hey Chuck from another Marylander.  You're right there is a whole lot of nothing going on in the Baltimore area.  We don't even have  a Woodcraft any more and our PBS station hates woodworking.  So to the point, there is a ton you can get out of WIA.  Even if you just hang out on the marketplace floor you will get plenty of hands on with tools and the makers standing there helping you every step of the way.  Even the Hand Tool Olympics is a class in an of itself.  The guys working there have taught many complete dovetail novices on the spot.  Despite some of the class titles, what you are also getting is total access to some great woodworking personalities who will answer any of your questions and lets now forget the sheer volume of inspiration you pick up from seeing all the different styles on display.  It is NOT a woodworking class however and there is just no way you can cover a topic in detail and get any hands on work in a 60-90 class period.  So if you are looking for guided instruction and hands on work this is not it.  You will get more of that in the marketplace actually.  You will have a lot of fun though and make some great friends. 

BTW, swing by the Steppingstone museum up in Havre de Grace any Saturday from May - October and I'll be in the woodshop killing time and I'll happily let you play with some tools and ask questions.