Cornhole Set

jmaichel

I am going to build a Cornhole set, something I have been meaning to do for some time now. I know building one is very straight forward but I don't want to use 2x4's for the base. I would rather use a hardwood, even if its poplar. Anyone ever build a set using something other than 2x4 material for the base?

Initial gut reaction: white oak.  Strength to resist the impact when a drunk person falls on it.  And rot-resistance for when a drunk person neglects to bring them inside and the morning air gets your cornhole all wet and glistening with dew.  I love both playing and saying cornhole.  I'm so mature.

• Like 2

Maybe its just a Chicago thing, around here we call that game Bags.  Corn Hole is what happens to you in prison....

I don't have anything to add other than that.  

Not just in Chicago.  I live in Washington state and call it game bags as well.

As for the prison thing, I'll take your word for it  ;)  :P

• Like 1

Instead of painting the tops with rival sports teams, like most people do, you should paint a hand plane on one and a table saw on the other.   Only you will get the joke.  

Maybe its just a Chicago thing, around here we call that game Bags.  Corn Hole is what happens to you in prison....

I don't have anything to add other than that.  

I have some friends who live in Chicago...they came to visit a few years ago and brought their "bags" set with them.  By the time they left they were calling it cornhole.  Because you can't beat that name for...well, just about anything.  My buddy and I went undefeated that weekend.  The name of our team?  Corn Kids.  Unstoppable.

• Like 1

I remember seeing the set in Wood Magazine, I will have to dig up that issue. I am originally from Chicago and when I was home for the holidays my dad showed me his "bags" set. I just used the term Cornhole because it is more universally accepted plus like Eric said, it is just fun to say. No rival teams for me, just the 1914 Cubs Logo and colors in celebration of the Wrigley Field Centennial. I wouldn't dare put a Cardinals logo on one of the boards. 

• Like 1

No rival teams for me, just the 1914 Cubs Logo and colors in celebration of the Wrigley Field Centennial. I wouldn't dare put a Cardinals logo on one of the boards. 

Yeah it would be pretty awkward to use a rival team that you've beat, what, ONCE in the last 100 years? :D

• Like 2