Cornhole Set

jmaichel

I remember seeing the set in Wood Magazine, I will have to dig up that issue. I am originally from Chicago and when I was home for the holidays my dad showed me his "bags" set. I just used the term Cornhole because it is more universally accepted plus like Eric said, it is just fun to say. No rival teams for me, just the 1914 Cubs Logo and colors in celebration of the Wrigley Field Centennial. I wouldn't dare put a Cardinals logo on one of the boards. 

The instructions were pretty good. What I would change if I did it again would be to use loose tenons on the joinery instead of lock-rabbet, and better and more comfortable handles.

I've got a plan to make a set of these for my summer vacation. Probably going to go with poplar and birch ply. #SuperSimpleSwag

Where is Marc?  Can we start a no hash tag on WTO rule?  I have a saying:

#hashtagsR4asstags

Sorry Sam, had to poke some fun for that one. 

You know somewhere out there a woodworker has made a green and green style corn hole set out of solid genuine with cloud lifts, ebony plugs, and all the other G&G doodads.  And then a 12 year old kid decided to use it as a bicycle ramp!

If you go with a lighter ply, say birch or maple for the top, you could route grooves in the top and drop in some contrasting thin strips( mahogany,walnut, purple heart) to resemble field lines if you wish.

That sounds like a nice idea but way to fancy for a Cornhole set IMHO. I am over thinking this way too much!

Yeah it would be pretty awkward to use a rival team that you've beat, what, ONCE in the last 100 years? :D

Maybe the cubs have only beat the cards once in the last 100 years, but how can you beat fans like this?  For better or worse, this is more normal than not at a cubs day game. 

http://www.washfm.com/onair/matt-bosso-51122/watch-cubs-fan-gives-drunkest-interview-12186504/

her best line "If i have to pay for HBO and birth control.... why is public radio free"

I'm kind of surprised nobody has mentioned the George Carlin bit yet... (then again, I hear that constantly at home, so maybe I'm overly familiar with it.)

I've seen some sets with glue/screw blocks, but for the most part, I'd say pocket screws are fine.  I'd consider a cedar or (*gasp*) manufactured wood product for ones that you intend to leave outside ... but I'd still paint the plywood.

(By the way, if you want a cheaper lit version, just get some of those dollar store LED puck lights or tap lights and mount them on the inside of the frame.  Turn them on when it's game time, turn them off when you hide the bodies.)