Home Depot liquidating Irwin Clamps

A head's up for those of you getting ready to do supermarket sweep on the Bessey clamps today: Beware...I got home and realized that, in my hurried, clamp-buying frenzied state, I neglected to notice that five or six of the clamps I picked up were missing the little plastic pads on their heads.  So I have to go back and see if I can pluck a few off the remaining ones on the shelves.  Hopefully they're still there.

That's my only complaint about these Besseys, that the plastic thing always wants to fall off.  I feel like an idiot since I'm so familiar with this issue...my routine after I buy a few is to bring them home and then immediately put a dab of epoxy under each pad and close them up overnight.  What a pain in the ass now.  Sheesh.

I work for HD on their Reset Execution Team and I can tell you that HD had a "falling out" of sorts with Irwin (I think they got greedy in contract renegotiations). We are seeing all their product being clearanced out over the past 4-5 months. Most of the Irwin clamps are being replaced with Bessey and HDX (Home Depot Exclusive) brands. It sounds like Bessey has signed a contract with HD and they no longer will sell in Lowes. HD also has Jorgensen and it wouldn't surprise me to see them get clearanced out soon.

Just got back from the HD by my work and grabbed the last two 24" parallel Irwin for $20.00 a piece. Going to give them a try and see how things go. They do seem a bit loose as one slid down the bar and slammed my hand taking them out of the cart to put them in my car.

I use Irwin clamps all the time for everything. I have nine 6" and six 12" Irwin's and love them but, I mostly make smaller projects. ( bread box size and smaller) Clamping pressure has never been a real problem for me using Irwin clamps. If I can get a decent glue squeeze-out with them, I'm good to go.

So far, I have broken only one clamp due to excess pressure. 

Rog

Does anyone use the quick grip Irwin clamps? The rack is full of them but not on sale yet. Are they good for anything other than work/jig holding?

Spunjinworks.wordpress.com

The Irwin XP quick grips are great...they exert quite a bit of pressure.  I have a few of the shorter ones and I use them for the "extra set of hands" type tasks.  I don't use them for glue-ups.  Those are the ones with the silver clutch boxes.  The regular ones with the yellow print are about worthless IMO.