Cutting Circles on the Table Saw...Yeah - Dangerous

Wish I would have kept it - someone donated us a REALLY old table saw, with original instruction manual (and a set of moulding blades for it) that included instructions on cutting circles, curves, and coves. I seriously don't understand.

I've seen that video before and 7/8ths of the scary factor there is the terrible jig that's about to fall apart and the crappy saw.  Just the other day I needed to put a large not perfect bevel on a not perfect circle.  I screwed a pivot point into my tenon jig that rides on the rip fence and tilted the blade and the important part.., clamped it in place.  Safer cut than many.

Wow! Cringe, I'm not sure if that is a strong enough word, I'm saying WTF after WTF (what the #%!$) for the whole video.

One of the biggest things what gets me is the running start with the jig into the blade and then knocking the metal side of the jig into the blade when it's spinning down.

• Like 1

Am I the only one that noticed this, but he was doing all of his cutting on the opposite side of the saw (blade going on the wrong direction) 3:36 into the vid <_<.  Wow, he was feeding that thing like a 16yr old on his first prom date.  I've seen this done before (much more eliquently) and it can be a fairly "safe" process, but not like this.. 

Hope he has good disability insurance...

• Like 1

Quote from his website:

The Shepherd School helps you prepare for anything…

Basically we believe proper techniques are more valuable that pretty tools.

So I am assuming that he has mastered the proper techniques for one handed micro-surgery.

• Like 2

Conceptually, what he's doing is fine and no more dangerous than cove cutting. Heck, Izzy Swan would probably have chucked the blank in a drill...

In execution, though, this leaves some things to be desired. Others have pointed out the poor build quality of the jig and the fact that he's cutting with the blank on the fat side, forcing himself to stand in line with the blade.

That said, I'm scratching my head and trying to keep an open mind as to why one might want to use a TS instead of the obvious trammel arm and a router. The only possible justifications I could come up with are:

- Smallish circles. I.e. Bigger than what you'd do with a circle cutter in a drill press.

- Thick stock. A TS can cut a blank 3" tall whereas a router would be limited by the length of the bit.

- Profiled edge. Conceivably, if you set your jig with the pivot point back from the blade, you could create a circular cove cut this way.

All that said, yeah, I cringed also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

==>no more dangerous than cove cutting

And your point is? :)

Cove cutting on the tablesaw is one of those activities that's both safe and dangerous at the same time... It's a dangerous operation because you're using a power tool for an operation that it's wasn't designed to do... If something were to go wrong, it would go wrong in a rather spectacular fashion... The operation  is safe because folks take time with the setup and double-check everything prior to hitting the 'on' switch...

==>Izzy Swan would probably have chucked the blank in a drill...

Ahhhhh, yes.... Izzy..... An annual multi-discipline entrant in the Darwin Awards :)

I've got a sneaky admiration for Izzy. My only real issue is that while he's got the talent to get away with what he does, his videos may encourage others with less talent to try something similar...

As for safety, I agree it can be done, but would only be safe if executed properly.  That video is not an example of this.  I consider this, as well as cove cutting on the TS an advanced operation only to be done with someone who has a good understanding of how the table saw works, as well as a good healthy does of respect of what the table saw can do when things go wrong.

I've got a sneaky admiration for Izzy. My only real issue is that while he's got the talent to get away with what he does, his videos may encourage others with less talent to try something similar...

I like his style and as concepts his ideas are great starting points for some late night contemplation but his power tool bits are way beyond my skill level - as well as not having any :)

A woodworker I follow on Instagram just had a terrible TS accident. From the sounds of it, he'll only be able to keep ONE finger, and he's not sure how much of his thumb is salvageable. much respect for the dangers of steel blades and especially spinning steel blades. Be safe out there. 

One of the first things he said was "As I don't have a blade for my jigsaw I wanted to use my tablesaw"
Would it not have been quicker to get in the truck and drive to his local tool store and buy a new jigsaw blade?

I'm not sure that the power switch hanging out with some tape just about covering the wires would pass safety standards anywhere in the world.

To give him some degree of credit he does say "watch the disclaimer on the website and I'm not saying that I'm doing this safely...I'm just saying it can be done"
Well I won't be trying that out anytime soon or later.

Nod,

I'm afraid to ask how the woodworker you know had a terrible table saw accident.  Is it something we can learn from?

Cindy

I was afraid to ask, but looking at some recent posts, he included the story. Something to the effect of an 6/4 piece of wood, crosscutting without miter guage/sled, just using the fence.. it kickbacked into his chest. With the way he was pushing, and the impact of the piece, his left hand carried through and slammed his down on the blade.

ugh. makes me sick just thinking about this. I value my hands and fingers too much, and rely on them critically (we all do, I know). Sounds like it was one more instance that could have been avoided, and should have been.

• Like 1

I agree....Darwin awards.  Aside from all of the other valid points, just the hard, forceful way he fed the wood into the blade...you can see he has no real respect or a healthy fear of that saw. That's sad because you know it's just a matter of time. 

• Like 2