How any hinges are needed?

I am building a shelving system for a client in her garage. The door are melamine (particle board core) and are obviously heavy. The doors will be roughly 40-45 inches tall and 2 feet wide. So not a lot of weight far out of the hinges causing leverage.

2 or 3 hinges?

Typing on cell phone. I apologize for any typing errors.

Honestly, I used an Irwin Marathon and blue taped the cut lines recently. I also cut from the bottom side. Sharp and slow helps with the laminate, PB is self limiting with regard to tear out. The trick is dealing with the cuts. Will you glue laminate to the door edges? These doors were commercially made and have a rubber bumper pressed into a mortice cut all the way around the edge of the doors.

Definitly 3 hinges! Carefully pilot and screw every hole in the baseplates for the hinges. If the case is 3/4 melamine use 5/8 screws. Sealing the edges is a good idea. I would use some fine sandpaper(220) to lightly break all the sharp corners before I sealed them. Melamine can cut you!

Even a quick wipe of Watco natural would be better than nothing. Wiping varnish, rattle can finish of any sort, water bourne finish whatever you have handy or are familiar with. The edgeband is a good idea, still give it a quick sand to smooth out the edges and corners.