Trebuchet

A friend of mine wants to build a trebuchet as a class project.  Something about 10 feet tall, with maybe 100 to 150 yard range.  I plan to set him up with some saw horses, a bunch of 2x stock, and hand held power tools: jig saw, circular saw, drill, and driver.  He's got some money for wood and hardware.

I told him to start by searching the net for plans - no reason to do a lot of trial and error when it's already been done.

Anyone have trebuchet plans they could recommend, or experience building a trebuchet?

No plans... but 

Ours didn't go nearly that far.  (one, we built it indoors, two, it was built to scale, three, we didn't use a projectile you can find after launching.  The wall was 8 feet from the trebuchet, so I know it didn't go scale distance.  Just not sure how close it would have come.)

We built trebuchets at a firm retreat as a team-building exercise.  They came from a kit and were made out of luan.  Threw a golf ball a hundred yards.

I would think that a properly constructed 10 foot trebuchet, with appropriate weight, could throw things a quarter mile or more. 

Beechwood   

I have attached two files one is a PDF  containing info on the project. The other is a Zip file containing a cut list for my cnc.

what file formats can you open ?

Washer Toss Project Files [Download  zipped files]

projects-Trebuchet.jpg Trebuchet

Designed for ShopBot by TJ Christiansen

Overview: This medieval launcher would reek havoc on enemies castles. However, the modern day conversion using 20lbs of weight will easily through a tennis ball the length of a gymnasium. Teach students about history, trajectory, mathematics, etc. Enjoy.

Materials:3/4” plywood, 2’ of 5/8” threaded rod, 3’ of 1 1’8” dowel, 12 1/4” dowel pins

Minimum Cutting Area: 2 sheets of plywood that measure 4’ x 8’

Bit Size: 1/4”

Finishing:Spray paint works great to accent the gussets. A polyurethane coating will cover all of the natural wood and seal it up.

Project Files:
Trebuchet Tutorial [Download pdf]
Trebuchet Project Files [Download  zipped files]

Beechwood   

I have attached two files one is a PDF  containing info on the project. The other is a Zip file containing a cut list for my cnc.

what file formats can you open ?

Thanks!  I've got  Sketchup at home.  At work I've got access to AutoCAD and Solidworks, and probably other stuff.  If necessary I could print our views for the kid who's doing the project.  

I don't want tot do too much for him.  Not because I'm lazy, but because it will be a better experience for him.  Really.  Not laziness at all.  I'm only thinking of the children.

==>wants to build a trebuchet

Wonder when they'll become regulated? Now that the ATF has been renamed ATFE, guess they'll have to print new stationary with ATFET... :)

You know, you might just need a Class III FFL to purchase --- and maybe a Class IV to build... :)

But you can just forget about getting a concealed/carry permit for that bad boy :)  Well OK, maybe in Texas... :)