Mystery Dunnage...

Hey guys. I picked up some rather fine looking pieces of mystery dunnage from a Japanese freighter. I'm curious if anyone has any ideas on what type of wood this stuff might be. For each piece, I've taken a photo of what I'm going to call the "Face", and a photo of what I'm going to call the "Edge". 2 pictures each, a total of 6 pictures for 3 types of wood.

I'd really like to know what I've got. I don't expect it to be anything particularly fantastic, but these pieces had good looking grain, so I'm hoping someone might recognize something.

post-1219-0-32112100-1288146268_thumb.jp

post-1219-0-27391000-1288146285_thumb.jp

post-1219-0-95535300-1288146300_thumb.jp

post-1219-0-91252700-1288146311_thumb.jp

post-1219-0-44476100-1288146324_thumb.jp

post-1219-0-44290000-1288146333_thumb.jp

I really wish I could tell you, especially since I think I have some of it myself. Is your a really dense hardwood? My father-in-law had bought a new Kabota tractor about 6yrs ago and the huge crate that the thing came in had some sort of Mahogany but mostly like what is in your pics. I called the dealer and they set aside a bunch for me until they stopped getting the crates like that:( The one word of advice is wear a respirator mask, the first time I used some of it I got the worst sinus infection I have ever had. Even if it is not the same stuff I have you just never know. One last thing is if the wood I have is the same as yours, the sun really darkens and deepens the color.

Nate

I really wish I could tell you, especially since I think I have some of it myself. Is your a really dense hardwood? My father-in-law had bought a new Kabota tractor about 6yrs ago and the huge crate that the thing came in had some sort of Mahogany but mostly like what is in your pics. I called the dealer and they set aside a bunch for me until they stopped getting the crates like that:( The one word of advice is wear a respirator mask, the first time I used some of it I got the worst sinus infection I have ever had. Even if it is not the same stuff I have you just never know. One last thing is if the wood I have is the same as yours, the sun really darkens and deepens the color.

Nate

It is pretty hard and dense, heavy like red oak, perhaps. It's pretty dent resistant as well, so I'm thinking that it wouldn't be any of the "softer" hardwoods, like traditional mahogany. I have another piece, also dense, a little lighter in overall color but a little more "amber" than hard maple. I'm thinking that might be alder or ash. I didn't post a picture of that one.