home made electronic cigarettes

duckkisser

It's still a nicotine delivery system and the cartridges are coming from " big tobacco" companies. Just don't delude yourself that it's really safer. It's just not as objectionable to the people around you.

Scraps of nicer woods than oak would be my first choice.

I made plenty of pipes back in the day and we all know what they were used for.

• Like 2

Ah, reminds me of high school. :huh:

I usually like anything made of wood better than its non-wood alternative...but I'm not sure I'd want something so blocky in my pocket.  How about turning some round ones?

From the big things I've seen people carry around, this prototype is tiny. Some of these e-cig things are like a damn cucumber they're so big.

Most of the ecigs i've seen pictures of appear to be plastic.  I'm wondering if you'd be able to taste the brass while using this one?  It'll also be very cold when using it in the winter.  Granted, i'm not so sure that most people would consider either of those things prior to buying one :)

The box looks like though.  I assume you slide down the light colored panel to insert replacement cartridges and change the battery?  Is there any chance of the panel sliding out on it's own while it's in your pocket or purse?

It's still a nicotine delivery system and the cartridges are coming from " big tobacco" companies. Just don't delude yourself that it's really safer. It's just not as objectionable to the people around you.

Scraps of nicer woods than oak would be my first choice.

I made plenty of pipes back in the day and we all know what they were used for.

A lot of the carcinogens in 'normal' cigarettes are (allegedly) not present in e-cigs. There is still massive debate about the health risks of the various chemicals that are used though.

A friend of mine has COPD with about 30% lung function left. He's been a smoker for all his adult life - now 59, and has been told (unofficially) not to stop as the stress would probably be fatal. He has found a marked improvement in his breathing since switching to e-cigs. There have also been quite a few reports that seem to show an improved success rate when using them to stop.

I smoked for 20 years and last October (after a lot of research) switched over to e-cigs.  Haven't touched a regular smoke since and it's been easy. 

What I took away from my digging was that nicotine in-and-of itself is relatively harmless; along the lines of caffeine.  Addictive yes, but not what leads to health issues.  It's all  the other crap that comes along with burning tobacco that is the killer (tar, CO, not to mention the chemicals that are added by the manufacturers to make it more addictive).  There are over 3000  chemical reactions that happen when tobacco is burnt; most result in a carcinogenic compound. 

The liquid (aka juice) that's used for ecigs typically are comprised of 4 to 5 ingredients.  Pure nicotine at varying strengths, water, either glycol (not antifreeze) or vegetable glycerine and flavoring.  Depending on the maker, all the ingredients are FDA approved and none of them carry a harmful rating to your health. 

Not saying that there are NO risks; anytime something other than pure air is introduced to to your lungs there is the possibility of risk; time will tell..  However I have noticed that lung volume has been restored, heart palpitations have stopped and breathing is now clear.  So far, I have not noticed anything negative about it  ^_^.  

I picked up a nice little "box" last time I was in New Orleans (many years ago) that looks a lot like your prototype Duck; Pretty sure it never saw any tobacco though :rolleyes:.  

• Like 2

What Andy said.  Exactly.  Also a twenty year smoker, I've been on the e-cig for 5 months and haven't touched a smoke since.  Not one.  It's the first time I've ever felt confident about quitting.  Of course, between the choice of inhaling nothing but air and the e-cig, air is the way to go.  But there's not a doubt in my mind that cigarettes are WAY more harmful than the e-cigs.  No question, it's not even debatable.  And the e-cig is a means to an end since you can control your nicotine levels.  I've already cut my nicotine consumption in half, and I hope to be off the tit altogether by next summer.  When I'm smoking, I'm just smoking...there's no end in sight.

And to Sam...yes, some of the e-cigs are big, but they don't have corners that will poke into your thigh.  I don't like anything in my pockets if I can feel it in there, so maybe it's just me, but I'm positive I would find walking around with a pointy little hard box in my pocket uncomfortable and annoying.

What Andy said. Exactly. Also a twenty year smoker, I've been on the e-cig for 5 months and haven't touched a smoke since. Not one. It's the first time I've ever felt confident about quitting. Of course, between the choice of inhaling nothing but air and the e-cig, air is the way to go. But there's not a doubt in my mind that cigarettes are WAY more harmful than the e-cigs. No question, it's not even debatable. And the e-cig is a means to an end since you can control your nicotine levels. I've already cut my nicotine consumption in half, and I hope to be off the tit altogether by next summer. When I'm smoking, I'm just smoking...there's no end in sight.

And to Sam...yes, some of the e-cigs are big, but they don't have corners that will poke into your thigh. I don't like anything in my pockets if I can feel it in there, so maybe it's just me, but I'm positive I would find walking around with a pointy little hard box in my pocket uncomfortable and annoying.

What about a G&G cloud lift shape? Or really just knock off all the corners on his prototype?

I hear ya on the corners. I would feel the same way.

my nephew has been using one for most of year and has quit smoking.  now he just uses it with straight juice with no tobacco in it.  he says that he needs to have two batteries in it to keep it producing enough electricity as a one battery e-cig runs out of electricity in about 45 min.....but he also is constantly fiddling and smoking his.   glad he quit tobacco since he would have probably died of lung cancer at the rate he is going. I personally don't like the size it seems huge but then again I see people with watches that look about the same size of a dinner plate and phones that are so large it looks like a small laptop.  I think a normal person would only need a one battery machine to run their boxes so perhaps we can shrink It down later.

Lately we have seen a bunch of medical research come out saying that the eCigarettes are not without harmfull effects.

The findings have been about the atomization and microscopic particles being a hazard to your lungs almost as much as tar and the other stuff you get from normal tobacco.

Better than tobacco in total yes, but substituting one issue for another.

Also many of my smoking friends have found that they have quadruppled their daily nicotine input and are no nearer to quitting then before since they can now 'smoke' inside again.

Do you work for Phillip Morris or something? ;)

No question, the choice between e-cigs and nothing...nothing wins.  Also no question, the choice between cigs and e-cigs....e-cigs win.  If you want proof, smoke for 20 years, then switch.  The difference is huge.

I'm using the e-cig as a cessation device, not a replacement.  If I intended to keep hitting this thing the rest of my life, I'd probably just keep smoking instead.  It's a useful tool, not a recreational activity.

Do you work for Phillip Morris or something? ;)

No question, the choice between e-cigs and nothing...nothing wins.  Also no question, the choice between cigs and e-cigs....e-cigs win.  If you want proof, smoke for 20 years, then switch.  The difference is huge.

I'm using the e-cig as a cessation device, not a replacement.  If I intended to keep hitting this thing the rest of my life, I'd probably just keep smoking instead.  It's a useful tool, not a recreational activity.

Sadly people are treating it as a recreation instead of what it is but that being said i have no reason not to make these and sell them for a profit.

Never smoked a single cigarette myself, but lost my father to lung cancer which most likely was brought on him at the young age of 58 due to 50 years of smoking.

Just bringing up the latest buzz on this and most ppl here see these ecigs as the 'acceptable' method of smoking inside since its quite widely banned now for normal smoking including bars.

And no, I don't work for tobacco companies. IT here.

Very cool I quit last november and have not looked back.. I also started to my my own ejuice  so i can control what i take in..I wanted a box mod  i  bought most of the parts to build one just never did it.. i found a guy online who make epipes his work is great just i think he is kind of a  as*. since i use a ar mod  i go threw the 1860 batts like crazy and tired of them sitting on my desk rolling around so I designed these up and was thinking about making these up for sale. reminds me of the old fridge soda can holder..there is good money for making stands, and desk type of stuff i remember there being a cup holder for cars.

post-7132-0-84875400-1411653797_thumb.jp