home made electronic cigarettes

duckkisser

No offence meant Kiki.

I can somewhat relate with having seen my dads failed attempt after attempt go down the drain over the 20 something years he tried to quit.

I guess at your neck of the woods eCigs are advertised more for quitting than hereabouts.

What ads I receive in my email are touting ecigs as the 'healthy and harmless' cigarette of the future with great uses in social indoor smoking and higher nicotine concentration capsules than ordinary tobacco has for the 'better hit'.

I heartily support any method that actually enables quiting and as I said in my original post even though the doctors are now finding different kinds of negatives from inhaling atomized particles the findings still seem to less harmfull than normal smoking.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Reawakening this thread to announce in the last week, I have gone from 2 packs of marlboro lights/day to about 5 a day using an e-cig to curb my appetite for smokes. I just started the e-cigs about a week ago, and hope to drop the cigs all together soon.  I started smoking when I was twelve, and I'm 47 right now. I agree with everything Eric has pointed out about e-cigs having fought the same battle. I'm already feeling better, it's amazing how crappy cigarettes make you feel.

Edited by Janello

Good on ya man!  Cigarettes are the devil.  So, so hard to quit.

I'm going on month 17 of vaping.  I've smoked exactly twice, both times drunk on the river.  E-cigs make withdrawal manageable and get you through hardcore cravings.  I do tend to hit this thing pretty hard in the morning with my coffee, or if I'm having a few beers with buddies.  Otherwise it's just kind of around, and I take a pull off of it here and there.  I'm still addicted to the nicotine, but I've reduced from 18 to less than 6 mg over the course of the 17 months.  My goal is to get to zero mg by around Thanksgiving, and give up the vaping altogether in the new year.

We found out this week that my father in law has lung cancer.  He's 53 and has been smoking since he was in diapers, essentially.  He grew up out in rural Illinois and stole his dad's cigs for as long as he can remember, like country boys do.  It sounds like he's only stage one or two and we have our fingers crossed that his treatment will fix him up.  But it's a drag.

I still think the e-cigs are nowhere near as harmful as cigarettes and no one will convince me otherwise.  But I do suspect that e-cigs are not without risk.  Who knows what's really in this juice or what the consequences are?  I don't wanna find out.  Use vaping as a means to an end...it's no good swapping one bad habit for another.

Good luck!

Congrats Janello and everyone that's trying to quit....I have smoked from 14 to 44 years old then quit because I felt like crap and was short of breath...I made it until  my step  son got sick ..He stayed with us until he passed of cancer..Now you would think after seeing what happened to him I wouldn't start again but I did ..It's very hard to quit and I'm starting to feel like crap again..Not too smart on my part.

I'll chime in here. Been smoking for years, tried everything from patches to gum to hypnosis... and nothing made quitting smoking easier than Ecigs. My wife bought me a starter pack of Ecigs as I had no intention of quitting anymore after failing so much. It's been almost a year and I haven't looked back. I feel better, can walk and run without running out of breath. Every few months I drop my nicotine levels.

There's no doubt that E-cigs are much better for your health than smoking. I would definitely encourage all smokers to switch. 

A lot of the carcinogens in 'normal' cigarettes are (allegedly) not present in e-cigs. There is still massive debate about the health risks of the various chemicals that are used though.

A friend of mine has COPD with about 30% lung function left. He's been a smoker for all his adult life - now 59, and has been told (unofficially) not to stop as the stress would probably be fatal. He has found a marked improvement in his breathing since switching to e-cigs. There have also been quite a few reports that seem to show an improved success rate when using them to stop.

I am a physician, the only people who i have ever told that they should continue smoking is a few old timers who have months to live from metastatic disease.  "stress would probably be fatal" not quite sure where that comes from. 

as far as e cigs, the jury is out, but as kiki points out probably safer and if used as a cessation tool hard to deny it. however, i have watched people start using those vapor cigs continusously they can't put them down, at parties i have seen people cling to them and not socialize at all.   these are merely observations of a few people, by no means an adequate medical study.

Began smoking my mothers Pall Mall's when I was 12, she finally caught me stealing her smokes!  Smoked unfiltered cigs from 1956 to 1978 then I switched to cigars and still inhale and I've made it to 72 years old.  Gonna be buried in a cigar humidor! And the lungs are still clear.  Smoking for 60 years ain't killed me yet.. But it will!

• Like 2

On 10-9-87 (easy to remember) I had a bicycle accident (alcohol influenced) and ended up in the hospital. Back then, you could smoke anywhere , except where oxygen was servered. So, 24 hours of no smoke. My kids and wife had been after me to quit smoking, so I figured if I had to quit for 24 hrs., I could quit for good. Haven't had a cig since. Unfortunately, I discovered fine cigars 6 years ago.

Dan, did you truly make wood box e-cigs, or mod box vapor pens. There is a dramatic difference in chemical content. 

honestly don't know difference I made the box for nephew and he did the hardware I just did the wood.  Never got farther then making a couple for him.

• 1 month later...