Router Kickback - Why??

wouldwurker

I know what you're talking about, Kev, but he's trying to avoid going against the grain, which means he wouldn't route that trouble area at all, which means he would need to re-stick the template on the other side.  What you're saying is a good way to route tall pieces where you can do one half with a bottom bearing bit and the template on the bottom, then take the template off, flip the workpiece over and do the other half with a top bearing bit...but that doesn't really apply here.  Ya dig? :)

That's a nice bit, but it's not a Big Daddy.  THIS is a Big Daddy...2" cutting length and 1-1/8" diameter.  It's actually cheaper than the Whitesides, too (which is weird because I thought Whiteside made his bits...could be wrong).  I wish he made this one with a top and bottom bearing...I'd pay 200 beans for that.

Big%20Daddy%20Pattern%20Bit.jpg

I bought the Big Daddy bit a few months ago because I was making three of the tilt top tables (guild build).  I had three oval table tops that I was making out of special stock (two of them figured walnut and one of them genuine mahogany where I had no spare stock for screw ups).  I couldn't bear the thought of ruining one of the tops with end grain tearout on the pattern routing, so I ponied up for the Big Daddy.  Some of the best money I've ever spent.  Such a clean cut no matter uphill, downhill, end grain, long grain (though I still pay attention to grain direction).  I highly recommend it.

Here's a thought: Use a flush-trim bit in the router table. Cut the template from stock thick enough to clear the bearing and cap screw. Attach the template to the workpiece. On top of the template, attach a nice, big safe board, with knobs or handles, even. Your fingers never have to get close to the bit at all. This won't reduce tearout, unless you can find a spiral-cut flush trim bit, but it is certainly safer!

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Direction is left to right if the stock is on the side of the bit away from you. If you reach across the work so that the bit cuts on the side closer to you it is 'climbing" the cut, and will try to jump away.

The other issue to consider is grain direction. If you route a curve, the different grain angle can catch the bit as well.

• 1 month later...