360 Woodworking

Orbb

I just watched the intro video and I have to say i'm excited to see the content.  Yes, the intro was a little rough but it wasn't the worst I've seen.  I'm interested to see how they are going to incorporate the video into the text articles.  I would imagine all of us have been reading a magazine describing a particular technique or procedure and just couldn't visualize it.  The thought has often crossed my mind "i wish I could actually see that particular procedure/technique perfomed for me".  From what I gather from the intro that's what they are going to incorperate into their content.

Personally I'm ready to see what they put together.  Free content for the remainder of the year will be great to evaluate the product.  If it's good, I'll subscribe.

I'd be happy with stiff and boring woodworking content, as long as the content is useful and the techniques are either well-explained, or well shot on camera.  Suppose I'd put it in three buckets:

1. Great content AND great production value AND great humor (Marc S., Steve Ramsey, Frank Howarth)

2. Dry, stiff, woodworking content, but woodworking content nonetheless  (I find this relaxing....like Bob Ross at a tablesaw)

3. Woodworking content with hosts that attempt comedy and fail miserably, or attempt production value that distracts from the content

I'll take one and two all day.

Frankly, I'll take 'done before' all day too.  I still watch and read every hand-cut dovetail video I come across.  Always small things to pick up here and there, plus there are ALWAYS new viewers coming in fresh who don't know the old timers from the new timers from the new-old-new timers.

As with everything, free or not, the consumers will ultimately decide.

so... until this last post I'd never heard of Frank Howarth ... so I watched a couple of his vids and WOW does that dude have some gigantic tools.  very cool stuff though, so I'm really glad you mentioned it.  He does a nice job of video production, a bit of animation and nice editing.  plus, freakin big tools. . plus plus he's in Portland, which is close enough to my neck of the woods to feel like a neighbor :D

• Like 1

so... until this last post I'd never heard of Frank Howarth ... so I watched a couple of his vids and WOW does that dude have some gigantic tools. very cool stuff though, so I'm really glad you mentioned it. He does a nice job of video production, a bit of animation and nice editing. plus, freakin big tools. . plus plus he's in Portland, which is close enough to my neck of the woods to feel like a neighbor :D

Not to mention, big tools! I love the video where he brought home that big honkin' 36" band saw.

never been to Portland then eh.  it insulates well would be my guess and that's part of his explanation. also he says he didn't want the shop to block the view from his house.  I seriously want to drop by and meet him just to see that shop.  that jointer is really just a giant anvil with blades lol.

the vid where he builds those benches and tables from reclaimed wood is pretty cool

• 2 weeks later...

I posted very early in this thread and my reaction was pretty negative. I have received an email from Chuck clarifying the issues he had with his previous online venture and he even offered me a complimentary membership, which I politely declined. I am not looking for any special consideration since as I made clear in my first post that he did give me a refund for the previous membership which was enough for me. I will wait and see what they have to offer and decide from there. I do hope they succeed because i can never get enough woodworking. The one thing there is a lack of is more advanced techniques available to us. PBS and the magazines are already constantly trying to attract the new woodworker so they never seem to get over the basics. There is a real lack of content in more advanced subjects. Does anyone really need another video on how to dovetail or chisel a mortise? I know from the Tommy MacDonald transition to Tv that he cannot do the advanced project from his early website on a TV show because it would make the audience too limited. Thats where the strength of the Internet is. No one would try to do a Roubo build or a tredle lathe build on a half hour TV show. I hope 360 can find a mix of challenging content as well as the basics we are flooded with. Some say advanced woodworkers dont need the content but i have found some of the content from Steve Latta's videos and watching guys like Silas Kopf work to be amazing to watch. A lot of guys especially on this site just beyond what is out there now.

I hope 360 Woodworking succeeds and I will be a subscriber if the content reflects the skills I know Chuck and crew have. It is the stunning quality of his work that made me seek out his content and I hope this new site is a worthy vehicle for him to pass on his obvious skills. This crew surely knows their woodworking, we just have to see if they can disseminate those skills.

Steve

Chicago IL

So i watched the intro video and agree it was a little stiff but thats ok. All i would suggest is just do the work and pretend your friend is in the shop. Thats what i like best. In the early TMac web videos you knew what coffee he was drinking, what work he liked doing, what he didn't like, met his girlffriend (now wife). He showed all the screw ups and fixes. If you guys have not checked those out, go take a look. Marc, Matt and Shannon have it down pretty smooth but not everyone is that comfortable in front of a camera. My advice is do the work, say what you feel, and let your tech guys worry about capturing it. Dont polish it too much please, it becomes too impersonal. If you smash your finger, go ahead and give us the @$&@?! moment. It makes you one of us.

I do like the plans and written material being offered, thats always welcome.

Steve

Chicago