(fes)tool gloat

bgreenb

So yesterday I saw Marc's tweet about festool adding some new inventory to their reconditioned sale, and I finally pulled the trigger on a TS55REQ Track Saw at 40% off.  At $369 it seemed too good to pass up.  I'm building some built ins for our office right now, and the timing is perfect for this thing helping me break down all these sheet goods (even though I've done a bunch already, which actually caused me to want this tool).

Aaaaaand then I just went ahead and ordered a new domino 500 today.  This one is new, not reconditioned, but my birthday is next week and I figured I could pass this off as a birthday present to myself.  Happy birthday to me!  I also bought the big domino assortment with all the cutters as well.

Finally, I bought the bosch vacuum hose that hooks up to my shop vac and (supposedly) fits the festool dust ports.  I'm happy I bought the track saw and the domino, but spending another $500 on a vacuum was a bridge too far.

These are my first two festool tools.  I'm excited that I finally took the plunge, and I'm even more excited to put these things to use.

Did anyone else take advantage of the reconditioned sale?

• Like 2

You will LOVE the domino.

Regarding hoses that fit, I eventually broke down and bought the festool hose that fits a shop vac.  $75 for a hose!!.....but it saves me a headache.

Did you pick up the domino bit kit with accessories?  It's $400....but since the project you mentioned sounds like sheet goods/casework, the 5mm bit it comes with should do you right. 

I find that I never use the accessories (although I guess I should), but am always switching out bits.

Check out Paul Marcel's (halfinchshy) video on casework with the domino 500.  Saved me tons of time.

You will LOVE the domino.

Regarding hoses that fit, I eventually broke down and bought the festool hose that fits a shop vac.  $75 for a hose!!.....but it saves me a headache.

Did you pick up the domino bit kit with accessories?  It's $400....but since the project you mentioned sounds like sheet goods/casework, the 5mm bit it comes with should do you right. 

I find that I never use the accessories (although I guess I should), but am always switching out bits.

Check out Paul Marcel's (halfinchshy) video on casework with the domino 500.  Saved me tons of time.

I picked up the huge box of dominos which comes with the cutters:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073E5N8U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ended up buying the DF500 without the trim stop and cross stops - they just didn't seem that useful for an extra $75.

I will check out Paul's videos.  Thanks!

Sorry about that - just checked my order from April and my facts were not straight....accessories came with my domino, and the tenon/cutter kit was also $285.

Back to you though, you'll love all the cutters too.  I was surprised how often I use the little 4mm cutter on ~7/16 stock.

Download the supplemental manuals floating around out there too!