Woodmaster?

mzingali

Hey All,

I recently came across the website for the Woodmaster combo machines...ie their 18" planer/sander/cutter/etc. Are these any good?

Also, I can see from Marc's shop that Powermatic is a great brand but does anyone have any of the Grizzly tools? Are they any good?

I'm restricted at the moment to 110V but I want to get going on woodworking.

Any recommendations on jointers, planers, drill press? Also, If i get a good BS, do I need a TS? I've been emailing Pat Warner in California...(router guru) and he said he personally saws everything with his BS.

For my 110V restriction, i'm looking at the Ridgid line of tools as well. I'm open to ideas..please gimme some advice.

My 4x4 fish tank stand project isn't going so well. My miter cuts and Forestner holes are straight and smooth but once i started to put the legs, top, and bottom together, I noticed that the 4x4s are warped a little. I really see the necessity for jointing and planing the wood.

Mike

I wouldn't trust any combo machine made in the US. They just haven't been great in quality and function. If you can get a European model, that's where you'll find the quality in combo machines.

Also, avoid Grizzly. Even if you're just starting out, it's not a wise investment. Honestly, if you want quality for a limited space, look for used machines. Lots of woodworkers are upgrading from their smaller tools to larger ones quite frequently.

Ebay, Craigslist, and Google searches will give you more tools than you can look at in a day.

Hope this helps.

Guest Mahoganus

I wouldn't trust any combo machine made in the US. They just haven't been great in quality and function. If you can get a European model, that's where you'll find the quality in combo machines.

Also, avoid Grizzly. Even if you're just starting out, it's not a wise investment. Honestly, if you want quality for a limited space, look for used machines. Lots of woodworkers are upgrading from their smaller tools to larger ones quite frequently.

Ebay, Craigslist, and Google searches will give you more tools than you can look at in a day.

Hope this helps.

I really like my woodmaster, I think its a great machine. I have used it for everything other than sanding,, does quality molding and planes better than any other planer I have operated. The straight line rip is one of the best features I like about it. Saves a lot of time and energy compared to on my table saw.

Yeah it sucks to have to change over but is painless for me and can do it in 5 mins or so. I spent 1500.00 on my 15" Crafstman Industrial planer which isnt a bad planer at all but I spent 1600.00 on my woodmaster and it does 18 inch with the ability to all the other jobs.

I am seriously looking at this machine for milling wood for tongue and groove. In Colorado I have a lot of wood to mill for the ceiling inside the cabin and in my wrap around porch. The woodmaster's ability to switch from a straight line to a planer and a pseudo molder look attractive.

At the same time, Adam's point of looking at used machines is also a really good one.

I think that the best thing to do is look at all options at the moment of sliding that credit card. This is the beauty of today's market with the internet.

I mostly have PowerMatic for my big toys. Generally very pleased with them. I have a Grizzly 18-inch band saw. It does the job and no specific complaints but it just doesn't have same solid feel that I find with the PM gear. I had a broken wheel upon arrival (or I messed it up on installation. At any rate Grizzly was very courteous and prompt with replacement. Most of the responsible forum activity seems mixed on Grizzly. Many satisfied customers, more than a few disgruntled ones. I haven't noticed but I'm sure PM has a few unhappy customers. It happens. About the only negative comments I read are regarding PMs pricing. My Grizzly band saw seems like good value. I did score my PM 2000 table saw from a Craigslist post. There is a good chance I'd have gone the Grizzly route if I was buying new, but sure am glad I came across the (hardly) used PM2000. Actually it was used quite a bit for 3 years, but by a very neat, organized, compulsive tool guy. That was his small table saw. He also had a Felder sliding table saw for large panels.

My personal preference is negative on combo equipment. But space and other issues can trump that. Mostly I'd avoid buying a combo unit just to save some money or space. Look for the compelling reason if it exists. I'd rather wait than buy a tool that is a compromise. Somewhat depends upon how you like to work. Search forums and see how others that work like you envision are doing their work. Don't just accept the "I have one and it's great" or "I had one and it was trash." Those people might be telling the truth, but as it applies to them and their mind. Find your own truth, grasshopper ; )

I'd like to buy mostly high quality used equipment, but in my area the good stuff doesn't come up all that often. Lots of construction type tools. The PM2000 was great, but that is the only one I've seen in our area in the three years I've monitored. I'm not interested in driving too far to save some money. Or to see something that isn't really what I expect. So mostly I've bought new. Have gotten some hand power tools at decent price used.

onwards

I'm with Adam, European machines are of very high quality and safety as well. I have a Mini Max Smart Combo and it rocks! Very high

quality and the customer service is hard to beat. Although I have never owned one, I have heard nothing short of rave reviews for the Woodmaster, if that helps.The used option is also very good advise, but just really do your homework before buying any thing.

Grizzly has built a good reputation in the last few years and are routinely showing up on "Best Tool" magazine review lists. I own three Grizzly tools and they are all excellent. In fact, I have heard of more quality issues out of the box with powermatic than grizzly in the last year or two from forum/chat members. You can feel safe with grizzly tools, especially their larger stationary models. Also, their shipping is very reasonable considering the weight of the tool and their customer service is excellent.

If you can find your way around the 110v restriction, you'll open up a world of better tools. The 110v limit restricts you to about 1 1/2 hp machines while most of the better equipment uses 2-3 hp motors and require 220v.

As far as Grizzly is concerned, I have their 17" band saw, 8" jointer, 15" planer, 6x48/12" belt/disc sander and their 2hp cyclone dust collector (all are 220v). I have been very happy and wouldn't hesitate to buy again. They might not be as nicely finished as Powermatic equipment, but at half the price, as long as the wood doesn't care, neither do I.

Woodmaster has been around for quite a while. I know several people who own them and have been very happy with them. They are headquartered here in Kansas City and I have bought several items from them that were good and would not be afraid to buy from them again.

Domer