Back on the woodworking grid!

mn pete

Hey gang,

It's been a long road with tools in storage and no workspace...until today! We closed on the purchase of our home here in Florida today. smile.gif

I've fired up the blog again to share and track my progress in building up another workshop. The new garage is all concrete block construction, so I'd love to hear any tips on fastening storage racks and shelving. This will be my first run in a CB building.

http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/2014/11/yet-another-clean-slate.html

post-2321-0-39190600-1415083097_thumb.jp

+1 on the tapcon concrete screws !

They hold well in the blocks , mixed results in the mortar joints. I installed metal standards to concrete blocks and hung old metal grocery store shelves in my shop 20 + years ago. A hammer drill is very useful to drill lots of holes in concrete block.

Thanks guys!  I'll have to check out those Tapcons.  I'm torn between laying out what I want hang directly onto the CB walls, or installing furring strips and sheeting whole walls with OSB.  I've always like the freedom I've had in other spaces to just hang anything, anywhere.  Need to keep resale in mind too...most folks are silly enough to think cars go in garages!  :)

I covered the walls on my cmu garage shop with osb.  I used tapcons and attached furring strips at 2' c/c, 1 1/2" foam insulation between the furring strips and vapor barrier under the osb.  Tip: paint the osb before you hang it on the wall, much easier to paint while laying flat. 

I used tapcons to save a buck.  If i had to do it again i would rent the nailer and shoot the furring strips on.  Drilling that many holes with a hammer drill is not a pleasant experience. 

• Like 1

Hey gang,

It's been a long road with tools in storage and no workspace...until today! We closed on the purchase of our home here in Florida today. smile.gif

I've fired up the blog again to share and track my progress in building up another workshop. The new garage is all concrete block construction, so I'd love to hear any tips on fastening storage racks and shelving. This will be my first run in a CB building.

http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/2014/11/yet-another-clean-slate.h

What everyone here has said!    A car in a garage????  Sacreligious!

Thanks guys!  I'm thinking the 2X2 furring strips, rigid foam insulation and OSB sheeting.  That would pinch about 5 inches of width across the shop, and a little less than 3 inches in depth...not a huge loss and the big gain would be a more comfortable shop with flexibility to hang things anywhere I want.   I may have to do it in phases.  It'll be a fair bit of work and the day job is pretty hoppin'! 

Dave, I like the idea of renting the nailer.  Is that the one that takes the .22 shells?

Steve, the Red Blue Chairs are bundled up and ready for sanding and assembly...then paint.  Just need a shop!  :)

Dave, I like the idea of renting the nailer.  Is that the one that takes the .22 shells?

I use a lot of Hilti products for work.  Our sale rep. told me what anchors to use and was going to let me borrow the power actuated tool for the cost of the anchors and cartridges.  I’m sure you can find a similar system at one of the home centers that have tool rentals. 

The edges of OSB are a little uneven.  After I put up the OSB I filled the cracks and smoothed out the edges with drywall compound.

• 4 weeks later...