Grizzly bandsaw questions

tcarswell

I apologize for driving you guys nuts with my obsessive questioning regarding my bandsaw purchase. I can't wrap my head around the standard go555 being more expensive than the g0555lx ? Isn't the lx an upgrade of the g0555 ? The g0555lx costs 30 less in their catalog and slightly less online as well ???!!

I can't wrap my head around it can anyone offer some insight ?

Okay, the best I can tell;

The G0555 has a nicer fence, and does NOT come with a pad-lock to lock out the on button. It IS made in an ISO 9001 factory.

The G0555LX does NOT have the up-graded fence, but DOES come with a pad-lock to lock out the button. It is also NOT made in an ISO 9001 factory.

On-line they both appear to be the same price of $525.00. If you are seeing higher costs for the G0555, my guess is that it is because of the nicer fence.

If you can live with the entry level fence, you can get the exact same thing as the LX in the anniversary addition for $445.00. It is just an LX painted black.

Now for my opinion. If you are going to up-grade your fence someday anyway, or if you rarely use the bandsaw fence, then I'd get the anniversary addition. The lock is neither here nor there in my opinion, and to me ISO 9001 means nothing.

Side note: My company became ISO 9001 a few years back and we pretty much operate exactly I MEAN EXACTLY the same way we always have, except now we document it more. Others are allowed to disagree, but I'm not a huge believer in the ISO process.

I have a feeling that Grizzly is trying to clear out their stock of 14" bandsaws, possibly to make way for a new model to be introduced.  Regardless, if you are in the market for a 14" bandsaw, the deals they are running right now should not be overlooked.

Beechwood, When I got my jointer they were supposed to be at my place between 2and 4. Didn't show up until about 6:00. I will have to say they use Saia trucking and they are very good about contacting you with up dates on delivery. Also wouldn't waste the money for the tailgate service. The driver helped me slide my machine into my pickup. I backed it up to my shop, unpacked it and was able to handle it pretty easily. Bandsaws aren't that heavy and usually ship in 2 cartons, shouldn't be that bad.

I've been looking at the G0555X. Cast iron wheels, resaw fence, larger motor and larger table. Also comes with an enclosed base cabinet to store equipment.

I had the 0555P up until a few days ago. It was not a bad saw but if I were in the market for a 14" the Laguna 1412 would be my saw of choice, hands down. If I did not have the money for it, then I would wait a few more months until I did.

honestly I've heard that alot. I truly wonder how many people that say that have actually .... used a 14 12 . It's almost like it's a trendy thing for people to recommend the next step up in power tools. The laguna is a 600 dollar jump. I'm sure it's a great saw it's probably twice the saw the Grizzly is (at twice the price ofcourse imagine that) and I will own one in a few short years but I haven't read anything that tells me the Grizzly isn't plenty of bandsaw for my use (home hobbyist)

honestly I've heard that alot. I truly wonder how many people that say that have actually .... used a 14 12 . It's almost like it's a trendy thing for people to recommend the next step up in power tools. The laguna is a 600 dollar jump. I'm sure it's a great saw it's probably twice the saw the Grizzly is (at twice the price ofcourse imagine that) and I will own one in a few short years but I haven't read anything that tells me the Grizzly isn't plenty of bandsaw for my use (home hobbyist)

That is a fair question. I have never used but have seen one in person and like I said earlier I did own a 0555P.  You have to buy the 6" riser block kit for the grizzly saws to get 12" resaw capacity. The 1412 has a considerably better fence, a 1 3/4 hp motor, and supposedly one of the best guides available. I have never personally used their guide system but have heard nothing but rave reviews about them. It also has a larger table and a lot beefier trunion than the 0555 saws. I could understand if this saw was pushing the $1500 mark but in my opinion this is a lot of saw for $1100. Best of all it runs on 110V. Again I have not used one but my opinion is based on my own experiences with my 0555P and looking at the 1412. 

I do understand your frustration with people trying to convince others to step up to a bigger tool but in this case I think it makes sense. Grizzly has dominated the 14" bandsaw market for years. Do you think free shipping is a coincidence? I think Grizzly is genuinely worried about Laguna stealing some of their marketshare with the 1412. 

I owned the 0555P for  three years and thought it was a good saw and I am sure you will be very happy with it.