Sweeping curves and grain (quilt rack)

skiback46

I saw this quilt rack and want to build one similar: (Edit...I screwedup the link, look at TIODS post below for a picture)

I like the sweeping curve, and the craftsmen did a great job on the grain match for the cherry and walnut ones, but I guess I'm just wondering if maybe there's a better way.

It looks like they just glued up a wide panel and then cut out the shape to make the sides.  I am sure it is plenty strong for even the thickest quilts, but it seems like there could be a better way to get the grain aligned, or minimize the joint a bit (the joint int he maple is pretty glaring to me)

Is that the best way to do it?  Is it a matter of maybe just reorienting the grain so its a bit more inline?, or maybe change where the joint occurs?

What about a bent lamination, that fanned out at the bottom, or you stuck wedges in between the lams?

Or maybe make it like you would an apron for a round table, with lots of smaller pieces making up the arc?  Maybe if you kept them all in order, and with the right wood (and tenons to connect them) it might not be atrocious looking?

What are your thoughts, is there a way to improve upon the flow of grain in this rack?

The link is busted.

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Store_id=487&page_id=23&Item_ID=11959

I think a bent lamination could be appealing. For what this does it does not really need that wide delta at the base. There could be a joint for a back kickstand style leg. In this way even a sculpted steam bend that is not a laminate could work.

Schaffer- I think I understand what you are saying; to maybe make it flow more, and have the legs be more spindle than slab like, but then have the joint, kinda bring the grain together.  I can see how to do that for both the steam and lamination bends.

If I did want to keep the delta/slab look, I guess that's where I don't see how a bent lamination or steam bending could work.  Would you just take some of the plys and glue them to that delta/wedge?, or I guess have 2 wedges so the grain in the lams aligns with the grain of the wedge, and it meets in the middle?  

Obviously the base will have be to a glue up, so maybe rotate the grain so it flows from the front leg to the back of the top (making and S), and then fuss with the back leg piece to get the best grain alignment I can?  I guess that keeps it to just the one glue joint on the back leg.

Thanks for the ideas. I have done a little steam bending (a shaker rocking chair), and am wanting to try my hand at some more curves, so I'm open to any ideas...just trying to talk it out, since my head still gets stuck in the rectilinear world.

What are your thoughts, is there a way to improve upon the flow of grain in this rack?

I don't want to sound snotty, but whoever made the maple one, completely dropped the ball in my opinion. The grain match on the left front leg almost looks like a different species.

If you wanted to up the ante with this construction style, I'd recommend buying thicker stock and then re-sawing it so you can make a book matched panel.

Looks to me like they just glued a scrap to the bottom long grain to long grain. Sort of defeats the purpose of this type of joint. Granted there is no weight on it but you loose the sweeping grain. If you use two boards front half and back half you can cut the angle out of each board. It won't be perfect but the grain will go the right direction and the joint will have purpose other than saving wood. Even if you take the foot out of each board the change in light is going to show especially in photos in fact worse in pictures.

post-5350-0-35207000-1415831713_thumb.jp