Woodworking stores in other cities

wouldwurker

Definitely spoiled.  I've been lucky enough to always live in a city that had a Woodcraft (sometimes the only one in the state): Rochester, Boise, Houston, and now Springfield.  In Houston it was 45 min from home(15 from work), but here in Springfield it seems everything is just 10 minutes.  

I have found some smaller lumber stores carry some tools, finishes, glues, but its not something you can count on.  I don't think there are any other stores like Highland

I love Highland, except I haven't been back since I told two employees that they were 'acting like jacka$-es'.  I was waiting on a very expensive LN dovetail saw from the back room, plus the other $300 in supplies I had in my hand, and these two salespeople are loudly bickering with each other like old washer-women (no offense to any washer women out there). 

I made myself conspicuous, and they're still really going at it on the sales floor.  I said the aforementioned words about their behavior and walked out without purchasing.  Frankly, I'd rather they just stepped out back and settled their hash the old fashioned way.

I ordered the LN saw on Amazon and had it 2 days later.  Hate to do that, but who knows....maybe they learned something.

There is a young man who works there that is very much into hand tools, and one of the most enthusiastic sales people, and woodworker I've encountered.  If I go back to their store, it'll be for him.  Really good kid.

My woodcraft either became a independent store, or a corporate store...forget which, but they no longer carry LN.  PM and sawstop, great exotic lumber selection for small projects, Whiteside(?) router bits, and always a can of GF when you need it immediately.  Awesome salespeople (Dennis) and the owner Robert is a great guy.

My Rockler experience was excellent.

My woodcraft either became a independent store, or a corporate store...forget which, but they no longer carry LN.

LN split with Woodcraft a while back and the reasons given are why I'll never purchase anything from LN.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/22352/lie-nielsen-toolworks-and-woodcraft-part-ways

I think the first listed reason is fluff to make the second reason more palatable, as not being able to handle the demand is usually want companies wan't to happen. The second one is just plane arrogant to me. Most stores keep the high end or dangerous (hand planes and chisels are both) merchandise secured in some way, and not every sales representative can be a hand tool expert.

LN split with Woodcraft a while back and the reasons given are why I'll never purchase anything from LN.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/22352/lie-nielsen-toolworks-and-woodcraft-part-ways

I think the first listed reason is fluff to make the second reason more palatable, as not being able to handle the demand is usually want companies wan't to happen. The second one is just plane arrogant to me. Most stores keep the high end or dangerous (hand planes and chisels are both) merchandise secured in some way, and not every sales representative can be a hand tool expert.

I work about 10 miles from a woodcraft, unfortunatley it is the opposite direction from home.  That said, someday we hope to move to Montana.  there are a few stores, but nothing great. will be internet shopping a lot at that point.

I bought a japanese saw at woodcraft a few months ago and the salesman took me back to the classroom and let me hack away.  I think i agree with your comments.

Interesting quote from the article:

"..All of the authorized dealers have brick and mortar stores, in which an area will be set aside for Lie-Nielsen tools. The tools will be there for you to hold and use (at a workbench), and the staff will be trained in the use and care of the tools, according to Jackson. The goal is to improve the customer's experience before and after buying one of their tools, he says..."

HIghland has a mix of LN planes (6 or7 maybe?) that you can try, but that's about it.  No chisels or saws that you can actually try out.  I could hold the dovetail saw, but since there was no display model, I couldn't actually make a cut.  Makes sense from a logistical standpoint I suppose, but doesn't jive with that quote above.

I have Amazon at the end of my fingertips in my shop, my man cave, on my Chromebook, Kindle, and phone. :D

I'm about 20 minutes from a Rockler and a Woodcraft.  Those are the only two B&M stores in St. Louis that I'm aware of.  Went to Rockler today, matter of fact, and took a nice raping on a few things.

Hey Vinny you forgot Peachtree Woodworking and there are at least 3 cabinet supply houses that will sell to hobbyists if you just act confident, all in the metro Atlanta area ! Kinda nice being in the southeastern regional distribution hub.

Give me a call if you want to discuss lumber suppliers in the area.

I have a Independent about 10 minutes from me, then his duplicate store 45 minutes away with another down the street. Another few independents about 2 hours away. Then to get a chain store I would have to got to St Louis(Rise running into Eric and his type) or Chicago(Have to spend a day in IKEA), or Indy(Visit inlaw's family). So it is the independent(Which many of you say is very high priced) or the interweb...

Spoiled I say you all of us a Whiteside bit of our choice...

• Like 1