Woodworking stores in other cities

wouldwurker

I work 2 miles from Highland Woodworking.

Drive by Woodcraft on the way home.

And live 9 miles from the Rockler superstore.

Am I just spoiled in Atlanta?  How do other cities compare?

Thanks Steve....now I REALLY consider myself spoiled.

Add #4 to the list, Peachtree Woodworking.  (I evidently drive by it every day on the way home from work)

I work about 10 miles from Woodcraft and about 20 miles from Rockler.  Either can be on my way home, I just have to choose to go that way.  Unfortunately each of those stores are 30-50 miles from my house.  (Yes, I have a log commute).  Those are the ONLY two options in my state as far as I know.

So I don't know that you're spoiled but you lucky for sure!

LN split with Woodcraft a while back and the reasons given are why I'll never purchase anything from LN.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/22352/lie-nielsen-toolworks-and-woodcraft-part-ways

I think the first listed reason is fluff to make the second reason more palatable, as not being able to handle the demand is usually want companies wan't to happen. The second one is just plane arrogant to me. Most stores keep the high end or dangerous (hand planes and chisels are both) merchandise secured in some way, and not every sales representative can be a hand tool expert.

You know, reading that article I actually agree with #2. I've never felt welcome to handle or play with the planes at any store. Highland included.

Speaking about Highland, they really do tend to ignore people in-store. Phone calls seem to take priority. Last time in I tried to buy a Domino, waited about 15 minutes while people walked past me and answered phones and helped other people, left and ordered on Amazon.

• Like 1

LN split with Woodcraft a while back and the reasons given are why I'll never purchase anything from LN.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/22352/lie-nielsen-toolworks-and-woodcraft-part-ways

I think the first listed reason is fluff to make the second reason more palatable, as not being able to handle the demand is usually want companies wan't to happen. The second one is just plane arrogant to me. Most stores keep the high end or dangerous (hand planes and chisels are both) merchandise secured in some way, and not every sales representative can be a hand tool expert.

Sorry, not following, Dan.  You won't buy LN because:

A)  They WANT you to be able to demo a tool before you buy it

and/or

B )  They want to keep production runs lower and therefore quality higher?

I'm not sure I get why either one of those factors is horrible enough (tongue in cheek) to justify scratching a company off your list of those you'll do business with.  Especially a company that is second-to-none in both quality control and customer service.

Sounds like a silly grudge to hold.  Or maybe I'm missing something.

If anything, you should be pissed at Woodcraft...since they ALWAYS have out the Wood River planes.  Let's not be naive...the reason LN and WC split was because WC wanted to sell their own inferior tools, and the reason the LN's stayed locked up was so no one could try them both and feel the difference.

You know, reading that article I actually agree with #2. I've never felt welcome to handle or play with the planes at any store. Highland included.

Speaking about Highland, they really do tend to ignore people in-store. Phone calls seem to take priority. Last time in I tried to buy a Domino, waited about 15 minutes while people walked past me and answered phones and helped other people, left and ordered on Amazon.

Ha, you should've called them on your cell phone and told them you were ready to check out just to see their reaction!

• Like 1

Ha, you should've called them on your cell phone and told them you were ready to check out just to see their reaction!

That was before Amazon started charging tax here, so it was all the better for me. Saved $60+ and I got Amazon's 0% financing deal, even though I didn't necessarily need it.

It's a shame, because it is a store who's selection I don't know who could match.

Must be nice for a lot of you guys.  I can honestly say I have never been into either a Woodcraft or a Rockler.  Where I am the closest Woodcraft is 8 hours 42 minutes away and Rockler is 8 hours and 2 minutes away (according to google maps). 

Someone mentioned Harbor Freight (4 minutes away).  I know the quality on some stuff there is good and some bad.  There are a couple possibilities that are 10 minutes or less from my house where I can get wood and a few other things. 

In cases like this, the internet is your friend.

Sorry, not following, Dan.  You won't buy LN because:

A)  They WANT you to be able to demo a tool before you buy it

and/or

B)  They want to keep production runs lower and therefore quality higher?

let me see if I can word this better.

As I said earlier I think the first reason about handling the demand is just PR fluff to make the second and actual reason more palatable to the average person.

Second, Lie-Nielsen was concerned about the service that potential customers received at the stores, where the tools were kept locked in a glass case and where, he says, store clerks were not always able to provide critical advice about how to choose and care for their products.

According to Jackson, Mr. Lie-Nielsen believes that a potential customer should be able try out any tool he or she intends to buy, and have an experience similar to the one they would have at the Lie-Nielsen showroom and factory in Warren, Maine, and at the Lie-Nielsen handtool events that they put on around the country.

To me, this is the primary reason, and shows a lack of understanding on the part of Mr. Nielsen.  

Woodcraft  is a franchise, and if you look at the following link it's not a cheap one. http://www.woodcraftfranchise.com/program.aspx

The part about the tools being locked up is the real sticking point for me. They are in glass cases for a good reason, to protect the merchandise from being damaged, and the owners from any liability issues. I've seen children left completely un-attended numerous times, and it would only take one cut finger and a sue happy parent to close a store down. I'm surprised more stuff isn't locked up actually. Not to mention I have never been turned away or heard of anyone i know being turned away because they wanted to look at or try something in a case.

To me the entire thing felt very elitist, and short sighted thus why I will never buy an LN product

I would love to be an hour from anything.

I slightly exaggerated, there are a couple grocery stores within a couple miles plus it's a small town so it's not completely devoid of life, there's even a True Value Hardware if I need a can of poly or some glue, but if we want to, say, go out to dinner or if I need a piece of 4/4 walnut, gotta drive an hour.  

it's still pretty cool, we have acres of space around us including a semi-private lake with private dock access..

I work 2 miles from Highland Woodworking.

Drive by Woodcraft on the way home.

And live 9 miles from the Rockler superstore.

Am I just spoiled in Atlanta?  How do other cities compare?

You forgot Peachtree, just a couple miles down the road from Woodcraft...

I like being spoiled!