TimV

How Did You Handle This?

I'm building walls in my basement shop with OSB.  How did you handle the gaps between the joists with a wall perpendicular to the joists?

post-3737-0-33845700-1416249280_thumb.jp

Thanks,

Tim

Blocking would be the easiest way - Depending on what's on the other side, you could just insulate.

Depends on what your objective is, if you're just trying to keep dust from traveling, or heat in, I would get a sheet of Styrofoam cut inserts caulk them in place

Hanging ceiling I got from a construction repurposing store (habitat for humanity if you have one near ya!) Cost me about 80$ to do the area of the basement I wanted to do (15'x15') 

I have a full basement ( 60x30 ) so a ceiling, drywall or drop is out of the question. :(

The main purpose is for dust control.  The other side of that wall is the laundry and utilities (furnace/AC/water heater).

Tim

One thing to note if you want drywall on the ceiling....it is against building code to have an electrical junction box buried behind drywall.  It is also dangerous, and if you ever have a problem and need to trace a wire, that will not be possible.

I'm thinking of using 1" foam board, cheap and easy to cut, then using spray foam to fill gaps and around wiring/ducts/ac-line, etc.