Help with a little box

mrrhode04

Here is a rendering of a box that I want to build. I haven't built very many small things so I am looking for guidence on somethings. What would be the thinnest that I would want to make the wood? Is 1/8" to thin? would 1/4" be better? Do I build it the same as any other box? Build the box and then cut it to make the two halves. If you are wondering what the metal looking things are, they are magnets to hold the cover on. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

post-16393-0-87821200-1416596824_thumb.j

The magnets shouldn't be a problem, I can get all the way down to a 1/16 diameter. I would assume you would hand cut the box joints since the box is so small. If you did box joints those would be the front, back and two sides, would you try to make the top and bottom fit inside those pieces or on top?

You could make them on the table saw or router table.   Stack the 2 pieces together and do them at the same time.  Also, add a backer to reduce tear out.

I would put the joints on the narrow sides and rabbit in the front and back.  That's certainly a personal choice and opinion tho.  

I would use 1/4" wood and joint the sides with finger joints and let the top and bottom float in grooves cut in the sides. The top would be even or a little proud of the sides and the bottom would be 1/4" above the bottom of the sides. Then slice the top from the bottom on the ts. I think the preferred way of doing this is cut almost all the way thru the sides to where you can finish the thru cut w/ a box blade.

Then insert that massive stone into it and surprise the young lady.

Looks like congrats are in order :D

If you do a good job on the box :unsure:

Myself, I would take a solid chunk of wood, square it up, slice off the "top" and bore out a cavity with a forstner bit. Once she gets a look at that rock, the box will be completely forgotten.

I like this idea. Especially if you can find a REALLY nice piece of figured wood. Make it look like just a block of solid wood with a nice finish.

A smaller version of something like this.....

SecretBox003_zpsc3776cf2.jpg

SecretBox002_zpsac86a317.jpg

Rog

I could do that, I have access to a full machine shop at Dunwoody College any time I need it. I would rather make it out of wood since that is what I am good at. When we were going to Dunwoody I was in the program that would design the parts and she was in the program that would make them. She is also finding more interest in to wood working.