turning frustration away

Raefco

The first couple I was trying to turn between centers, no go. I have a chunk of walnut screwed to my face plate, faced off flat with circles turned in it, I have been hot gluing pieces to it and it has worked out pretty well. I am using a set of chisels from harbor fright, that cost 18 bucks, they won't hold an edge for love or money, I guess I'll man up and order and set, or pick up some tool and make some. I turned the last pretty well as described I just took it to far before I started sanding.

• 1 month later...

This is the first item I've turned inside and out, call it a box, bowl small candie dish, what ever it is, it also has a lid and was made from glued up walnut scrap left over from the cabinet. I still haven't put handles or the carbide cutter holders I made so this piece was still primarily turned with a $12 set of chisels 

DSC02548_zpsbaa13836.jpg

DSC02546_zps66e784e0.jpg

DSC02545_zpseec3a886.jpg

I need to get some proper handles put on my carbid cutters, I messed around with them some on this bowl, they are very different to use and seem to require a softer more precise touch but it was hard to tell, I'm sure they will feel completely different once the weight, stability and leverage if good handles is added

I need to get some proper handles put on my carbide cutters, I messed around with them some on this bowl, they are very different to use and seem to require a softer more precise touch but it was hard to tell, I'm sure they will feel completely different once the weight, stability and leverage if good handles is added

"Get"??? Depends on your definition.  Our city was founded in 1734 so it's old and historic and the cutting of trees and limbs is regulated by the blue haired ladies of the Hysterical...er...I mean the Historical Society.  I'm always on the watch for live oak, sycamore, and white oak limbs being cut by the city trucks.  They all make great tool handles.  Turn'em green! May warp a little in the drying process....what the heck!  

Got To love the hysterical society, my house that burnt was built in 1865 and was the original mortuary in our little town.

The elderly man 2 doors down passed away last year, the house is still empty and has a stack of firewood on the porch (I think it is hickory and ash) I go down there every so often and snag a couple pieces to turn, I think I will go grab a few handles lol

Got To love the hysterical society, my house that burnt was built in 1865 and was the original mortuary in our little town.

The elderly man 2 doors down passed away last year, the house is still empty and has a stack of firewood on the porch (I think it is hickory and ash) I go down there every so often and snag a couple pieces to turn, I think I will go grab a few handles lol

Heck yeah, already dry

• 2 weeks later...