Sand Paper Grits

Chet

I am just curious of what some of you do as far as grit progression when sanding a piece after it has bee run through a surface planer.

Also I have used both the Aluminum Oxide and the Garnet sand papers, do any of you have a preference.  Pros, Cons?

My last couple of projects have been 120-150-220 and they have come out fine. Anything below 120 is reserved for major damage. I also have some 400 and 1500 reserved for wet sanding. Note that this is all done by hand, not sure if power changes anything. 

I find that 150 is my most commonly used grit, if that helps.

80 120 180 and maybe 220/240 - life is too short for me to do the intermediate grits.

Upto 320 on any exposed endgrain.

Sometimes just a finish smoother plane and/or scraping works for me - no sandpaper.

Then when finishing 400/600 wet and dry up to 800 1000 and 2000. Remove nibs with a brown paper grocery bag.

3m show a great microscope video at KBIS showing how skipping grits actually cost you more time and nearly 50% more abrasives. I'm going in two weeks I'll see if I can get it on my phone. There is more to sandpaper than sticking it on and running a sander.

I'd be very interested in what they have to say and why.

It depends on what I'm doing. Standard hardwood stuff out of the drum sander I start with the grit that was on the drum (usually 100) then go to 120 with my 5" ROS, switch to my 150/3 with 120, then 150, 220, and that's usually enough. 

If it's a turning project the sky is the limit. I try to finish up the piece with a light shear scrape on a bowl, and for spindles I use a light pass with my skew chisel. If the surface is even and smooth I'll start with 150 and go to 600. If it's a pen and I'm doing a CA finish I stop at 400 otherwise you get separation from the CA and the wood, then apply CA finish and sand to 12000 micromesh followed by scratch remover compound, then blue ultrafine rouge on a muslin wheel. For friction finishes and waxes I'll go 150-240-320-400-600-Abralon 500-Abralan 1000-2000-3000-4000