Loving me some Rockler right now!!

Try this. Tom the owner of Tool Home is great to deal with. He also does custom abrasive packs for the different Festool sanders. I bought 2 from him.

http://www.tool-home.com/products/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/57_1190/products_id/17990

Ordered today. I did not know they were in Austin tx. Only about 3-4 hours away. So that free economy shipping will be great haha.

What do you mean custom abrasive packs? Like 10 - 10 - 10 of different abrasives instead of the 10 or 50 packs of one?

• 1 month later...

The tax thing is by far the #1 reason I don't buy my tools at my local Woodcraft or Rockler. The guy at Rockler laid a huge guilt trip on me when I spent a bunch of time there looking at the SawStop and then was clearly going to buy it online. I wanna tell the guy to call his legislator. I try to buy local when I can but 5% on a 3-4k purchase ain't peanuts.

I really disagree with that thinking.  The brick and mortar stores have their expenses including paying for that employee that helped you plus the cost of having the Saw Stop display that you looked at.  If enough people have that attitude then there won't be any B&M stores. 

I really disagree with that thinking. The brick and mortar stores have their expenses including paying for that employee that helped you plus the cost of having the Saw Stop display that you looked at. If enough people have that attitude then there won't be any B&M stores.

Ha, wow, joined up just to comment on a two month old post about taxes. You must feel really strongly.

I'll (mostly) refrain from a substantive response to avoid breaking forum rules. But if you're cool with paying an extra $200 on a tool purchase to compensate a Woodcraft for its employee time and display costs, have at it. As far as I'm concerned, if my finding better deals and paying less money online results in no brick and mortar stores, I'd be sad but I'd still take that deal every day of the week. Like I said, I buy local when I can but $200 ain't peanuts.

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 2

You're legally required to pay the uncollected sales tax on your online purchases to the state at income tax time as a Use Tax in many places. 

Just most people don't, as it isn't really worth the states time to prosecute except for businesses. 

Showrooming will continue to be a problem until they change the tax laws.  I believe Amazon has been supporting online Sales Tax collection now, as with their size and resources it will be a competitive advantage for them over other online retailers. 

As for the topic at hand, nice job!  The Sears Hardware store near me went out and I unfortunately missed the transition between negligible discount and fixtures and broken stuff sold for 85% off... got some band saw blades for dollars, but being store brand that's probably all they're worth anyhow. 

Oh, no.  That would be pretty crazy.  I was just responding to bgreen since his semi-hostile reply to Gene seemed to indicate that he thought he was saving money by avoiding taxes, rather than simply avoiding paying the taxes.  Of course even taking the time to calculate one's Use Tax is a waste of time in my opinion... I tend to take speed limits as an 'advisement' as well, but it seemed prudent to point out when advice given that gets a hostile reception merely advises following the law.

Oh, no. That would be pretty crazy. I was just responding to bgreen since his semi-hostile reply to Gene seemed to indicate that he thought he was saving money by avoiding taxes, rather than simply avoiding paying the taxes. Of course even taking the time to calculate one's Use Tax is a waste of time in my opinion... I tend to take speed limits as an 'advisement' as well, but it seemed prudent to point out when advice given that gets a hostile reception merely advises following the law.

Hostile? Seriously? Did you read the post to which I repsonded? I think my tone was in keeping with it.

Also, his post had nothing to do with advising me to follow the law. If he had simply posted that I am required to pay use tax (as you did) I would've appreciated the thought and moved on. Instead he made some kind of moral statement and implied that I have some kind of responsibility to help B&M stores pay their expenses.

Edit: maybe I read too much into the original post. It's Monday morning and I spent three hours shoveling my roof yesterday. I certainly didn't mean any outright hostility and thought I was just giving the post the eye roll I thought it deserved.

I didn't hear anything hostile in his post.  He was just responding to the claim that WE as consumers are responsible for giving a damn about some business's expenses and bottom line.  It's a free market...if they can't survive then they need to modify their business model.  I appreciate being able to put my hands on a machine before buying it, but I'm not gonna pay an extra 8% for that if I don't have to.  It's a dog eat dog world, a penny saved is a penny earned, choose your cliche...they're all true.  I save my dollars wherever possible, and short of stealing, I have no ethical remorse about how I do it.  I can guarantee Rockler doesn't care about how much money I'm making.  And I don't care about them.  Give me a better deal than your competitor and you earned yourself a sale.  If you can't, sorry, that's business.

You're not legally required to do anything until a law is actually enforced...which this one is not, clearly.  I have NEVER heard of someone getting in trouble with the IRS because they didn't offer up the sales tax owed on some Amazon purchases.  Sellers, a different story.  Consumers are free to take advantage of the current system of tax-free interstate transactions.  Some websites even ADVERTISE "tax free."

The guys at my local woodcraft are very knowledgeable and willing to help.  They have provided enough of a service that I have bought quite a bit from them.  Not all my tools and machines have come from them, but a fair amount have.  Before I buy a tool, especially hand tools, I like to hold them in my hand, give them a try, make sure they will feel good to use.  I can't do that when I buy online.  Most of the time the cost of shipping and sales tax cancel each other out, and I don't have to wait for the tool to be delivered, then left outside until someone gets home to bring it.

One thing I have noticed is that some B&M stores are starting to discount their products if you buy in store vs. buying online.  I recently bought a video camera.  I did a bunch of research online and zeroed in on one that I wanted.  I searched around all the standard websites to see who had the best deal.  Best Buy and Amazon were tied.  I saw Best Buy had the camera in stock at the local store, so I decided to drive over to take a look at the display model of the camera to try it out for myself.  I found that the camera was cheaper in the store, so I ended up buying it right then.  After I bought mine someone in another forum was asking about my camera, and he ended up finding it was cheaper at his local store as well.

Ha, wow, joined up just to comment on a two month old post about taxes. You must feel really strongly.

I'll (mostly) refrain from a substantive response to avoid breaking forum rules. But if you're cool with paying an extra $200 on a tool purchase to compensate a Woodcraft for its employee time and display costs, have at it. As far as I'm concerned, if my finding better deals and paying less money online results in no brick and mortar stores, I'd be sad but I'd still take that deal every day of the week. Like I said, I buy local when I can but $200 ain't peanuts.

Welcome to the forum.

I apologize if you feel I came across too strongly but I do feel strongly about it because for 11 years I worked part-time retail and was affected by customers that would do exactly that.  It sucks to spend time with a customer explaining a products features and then have them by it on-line or at a big box store.  When sales are down the first thing that happens is that employee hours get cut. I have no problem buying on-line myself but I'll read on-line reviews instead of using a stores resources to determine if the product suits me.  Personally I feel that customer service is very important and I am perfectly willing to pay more to get it.   I don't want to turn this into a debate so let's just agree to disagree and be gentleman about it.  Thank you for the welcome to the forum and I'd also like to apologize to the OP for hijacking his thread.

Happy woodworking!!