Some Good News and Perhaps TMI!

Good for you for not selling!  The other forums I've participated in that were bought out were rapidly infested with such a profusion of ads that the communities were gutted.  I don't think the owners cared since there was such a backlog of content for the search spiders to crawl. 

glad you didn't sell, then who knows what they would have done as for the advertisements well they're on every web site so I rarely even notice them anymore in fact if you hadn't said anything I would not have even known they were there.  They're just background noise like the train going by my house I only notice it when I'm laying awake at night thinking up reasons why I should be asleep.

as someone new to the hobby I'd probably be fairly lost without this place.  everyone here is always so helpful, i tend to devour most of the threads here even if I don't post in them.  one of the best WW resources around, and I have looked into a lot of them.  so please, ad as much as you like it's worth it.

We could very well implement something like a Patreon campaign. No frills. Just donate a small amount each month, get the Patron label in the forum and get all ads removed. Might be worth considering.

Ars Technica does something similar to that, I think it's well received.

Just don't drink the Patron and woodwork.   :D

Ain't no drinkin while milling up sticks  ;)

• Like 1

Marc, thank you and Nicole for providing this forum for all of us to ask for and share information about woodworking.  I'm about to set up my retirement shop after taking a two-decade hiatus from woodworking.  Quite a bit has changed in 20 years and this site is my go-to for information about what's changed.  Whether we're talking about this site, Wood Talk or thewoodwhisperer.com, you have put together invaluable resources for the wood lover in all of us.  Do what you need to do to make it pay.  We all appreciate it.

I moved over to this forum from another one about 2 years ago and never looked back! This is by far the best forum on the internet!

A big thanks to mark and nicole for creating the secret awesome sauce formula (free site, forum, guild) and my fellow members for hanging out and being so willing to share and contribute.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I appreciate all of you being a part of the forum! As you may have noticed, we are now on the new server. If you see some glitches or weirdness, let me know in the Forum Help section. The forum JUST went live for most people so let's settle in and see what happens.

A business must sustain itself. That's true unless you have the $52,000,000 trust fund that feeds NIcole and Mateo. Thinking that may not be the case, it's completely reasonable that you take steps to cause it to pay for itself. Like many have said, i appreciate what you and Nicole have done to birth this venture and bring it to this point.  We love hanging out together but it's a tremendous source of knowledge and sharing where we all can learn. As important, WTO is a safe place for new comers and new wood workers to come and ask questions - from the elementary to the more complex.  This has been no easy task I'm sure.  We'll support y'all in whatever way we can.

Tim