First time with power tools

Chet

My grandson has been interested in woodworking for about 6 years.  We first started out doing some of the "Build and Grow" projects at Lowe's.  Then we started doing some small projects with hand tools including building a tool box for his tools.  Yesterday he came to me wanting to build a simple container to hold his drumsticks by his drums.  He knew exactly what he wanting size wise.  Today we did the build and because it was a fairly simple project and he is now 13, I thought it would be a good way to introduce him to some power tools.  The first thing we did was the layout he learned how to do the layout so that the inside dimension and overall height came out to what he wanted ( these were the two things that he was specific about).  Then we started some safety lessons with the power tools.  He used the table saw and miter saw.  Even though I own a SawStop I have always looked at the safety features as a bonus not something to count on instead of normal table saw safety and I want him to be thinking the same way.   He set up and made all of the cuts (under my watchful eye) except one.  He did a couple of blade changes and also used the brad nailer during the assembly and then some sanding on the final product.  He did a great job everything came together with nice tight joints and all.  I posted a picture of him with the final product.  A simple project but with the lessons along the way we spent about 2 1/2 fun hours together.

post-15968-0-91670400-1421030884_thumb.j

That's awesome, it's something he'll always remember this and think back to his first woodworking project.

Hey, maybe next you can teach him to turn his own sticks!

Turning sticks is fun, however a very infuriating task if you play drums. The different in weight can throw you off, which is why manufacturers pair them by weight after they are turned.