Shop cabinet build

Tom Cancelleri

I'm debating what I'm gonna finish the cabinets with. I'm not going to stain the maple, going for the light color. I was thinking maybe some wipe on poly, or Arm R Seal. Not looking forward to building and laminating the counter tops.

Arm-r-seal looks weird on cabinets, imho. Mostly because my eyes have seen a million cabinets, and none of them look like they've had that sort of wiping varnish applied.

I made my shop counter tops out of MDF and birch ply and trimmed them out in hardwood.  They don't have to be dead flat like a workbench...save yourself the work.

I was planning on 2 pieces of 3/4 MDF, and then laminating the top with some formica, and putting a chamferred maple strip about an inch thick on the front. Left side is going to be scribed to the wall. Right side will be partially against a wall where it sticks out a bit, where the HVAC return goes to the basement. 

Ok, come Tuesday morn, gonna place the order for the Domino. Where do you guys get the best deals or just pay list price and that's part of the Kool-Aid?

My dowel jig and biscuit cutter are gonna want alimony

The best you can do is order it from out of state so that you do not pay tax on it!

• Like 1

Toekick layout lines. <3 my Incra T-Rule

IMAG2603.jpg

Quick little fence for my jigsaw.

IMAG2605.jpg

Nice square toekicks, well done jigsaw

IMAG2606.jpg

Overpriced Sommerfeld height setup gauge

IMAG2608.jpg

Dual stack featherboards with lots of pressure for a climb cut to keep the ply from tear out.

IMAG2610.jpg

Nice clean grooves

IMAG2612.jpg

Shop cabinets fit for the house...

My shop cabinets are the dry run for building my parents cabinets for their kitchen. Perfecting the workflow, use of the system I'm using to build them, some Domino practice with alignment and glue up. Tweak things now to make it easier when building an entire kitchen worth. Their cabinets are going to be white oak. Then next year I'll start my cherry cabinets for my kitchen. 

• Like 2

By the time these are done you should have it all figured out, should be very nice.

Fist set of kitchen cabinets I ever built was for my new house, they are not all they could be but it was best I could do with the time, money and material available. By the time I got to the master bath they had evolved considerably.

Tool list

Skilsaw table saw

Circular saw/straight edge

Cordless drill and impact

Pocket jig

Router table

Don't get me wrong they turned out nice but I see kitchen cabinets 2.0 in the future.

I'll be watching yours evolve as well