Is it a Good or Bad idea

Chet

==>Is it a Good or Bad idea

Well, it’s not considered a good idea :)

The level of ‘bad idea’ depends on a few factors:

Adhesives: some glues are much harder on edges than others… Take 105/205 w/ 404 bonding filler – you might as well place the order for new knives when you hit the 'start' button… On the other hand, poly really isn’t all that bad... That's why some put up with poly's mess -- it's not hard on edges...

Metallurgy: carbide takes a lot more abuse than HSS...

Workflow: if you final thickness on your planer, then it’s really not a good idea. However, if you run everything through a drum sander for final, then it’s less bad… Still not good, just less bad...

For full disclosure, I just run every panel through the planer and don’t give a toss about glue lines, drips, gobs, puddles, whatever – and to add insult to injury, I use a lot of epoxy… I use solid carbide knives on my milling kit and final thickness on a wide-belt sander… Want to be clear: I’m not advocating this level of abuse, just admitting that it happens…

Trick I learned when gluing up panels is use 2 clamps to dry clamp. Use a paper towel and run light coat of paste wax along each seam. After glue dries the squeeze out just needs a light scraping. Clean up seams in drum sander and you're good to go. Never had any finishing problems even with oaks.

Trick I learned when gluing up panels is use 2 clamps to dry clamp. Use a paper towel and run light coat of paste wax along each seam. After glue dries the squeeze out just needs a light scraping. Clean up seams in drum sander and you're good to go. Never had any finishing problems even with oaks.

Waxilit is best for this.