AZ woodworking classes

azwoodman

I have been searching for many months on classes here in Phx with absolutely no luck. I know Woodcraft and Rockler offer classes at most of their locations and those are really a great option but they are very specific to certain areas of woodworking (ie pen turning, carving, box making). While those make great gifts during Christmas time and I should probably stock up since it will be just around the corner, I was hoping to find a classroom setting where I can get a more broad scope of instruction on different tools, useful tips on typical problem areas, and hands on guidance through a project. If anyone can help in my journey, please reply and my thanks in advance.

Timing is everything... today I went to Timber in Mesa to pick up some poplar wafer board and like every August, they had a set of announcements on the counter for classes starting in the fall.

I picked up the papers intending to post them here, so perfect!

Here are scans of the two papers. I can't speak for the quality of the instruction or have any details about each class syllabus.

post-50-060616600 1281424132_thumb.jpg

post-50-015640700 1281424118_thumb.jpg

Timing is everything... today I went to Timber in Mesa to pick up some poplar wafer board and like every August, they had a set of announcements on the counter for classes starting in the fall.

I picked up the papers intending to post them here, so perfect!

Here are scans of the two papers. I can't speak for the quality of the instruction or have any details about each class syllabus.

post-50-060616600 1281424132_thumb.jpg

post-50-015640700 1281424118_thumb.jpg

Thanks Paul for posting that...that is exactly what I was hoping for...it all just seemed to fall together on that one.

AzWoodman,

Check-out Rio Salado and Chandler Gilbert Community Colleges for woodworking classes taught at local high schools. There is a class @ Highland HS in Gilbert designed specifically for people interested in woodworking on a hobbyist level. The school has a lot of very nice tools and the instructor, Chris Askew, is a nice guy as well.

Steve

I think that most of the local community colleges offer classes. I took a class through Glendale Community College last semester and am signed up again this semester. Our class is held at sunnyslope high school on tuesday nights.

Even though I have the tools to do most of the things I need to do, it is nice to have class once a week to hang out with others and talk woodworking or to see what projects others are working on. And, if you don't have any tools, paying $260 for access to a complete shop for an entire semester is a pretty good deal!

• 2 months later...

I have been searching for many months on classes here in Phx with absolutely no luck. I know Woodcraft and Rockler offer classes at most of their locations and those are really a great option but they are very specific to certain areas of woodworking (ie pen turning, carving, box making). While those make great gifts during Christmas time and I should probably stock up since it will be just around the corner, I was hoping to find a classroom setting where I can get a more broad scope of instruction on different tools, useful tips on typical problem areas, and hands on guidance through a project. If anyone can help in my journey, please reply and my thanks in advance.

I was over at WoodCraft in Tempe the other day and saw a poster on the window on the classes they have coming up. Their website also has the classes listed but with dates/times and instructors. Check them out, maybe you'll find something there that you're interested in. I will be attending several I think!

http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=563&page=classes

Hope this helps.

-- Andrew

• 1 month later...