salute to wives, girlfriends ect.

treeslayer

this post is meant to be a salute to my wife who has put up with me every day for 42 years. after completing the last big project i thought of what she has to put up with here are

some of the conversations heard around our house. (me) honey i need some money for gas in the truck (her) what did you do with the money i gave you? (me) i went to get wood for this project and i ran across some beautiful cherry i couldn't pass us so i need more cash. (her) where are you going this late? (me) out to the shop, if i get another coat of varnish on tonight i can put the last one on in the morning. (her) when are you going to make the (fill in the blank) for me. (me) as soon as this paying job is done, do you want me to make money or spend it? (her) you're not listening to what i said. (me) sorry, thinking about the next thing i have to do on that project in the shop. the varnish cans on the kitchen counter, sawdust tracked in the house, deafening noise from long sessions with the planer, router ect. i know these things are not new to the wives out there but i just wanted to thank her in a public forum for supporting me all these years and not complaining (too much) I'm sure the other woodworkers out there have similar tales and i would to hear them.

Geez, that's a lot of talking.

I took heed of some simple-minded advice quite some time ago...it took a while to sink in, but eventually my dog was trained:

"Don't ask me no questions, and I won't tell you no lies." -'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd

• Like 1

Very nice sentiments Dave.

It's always good to give credit to the "enablers" in our lives.

My wife is very supportive as well.

Just the other day she talked me into getting dust collection for my dovetail jig.

She told me if I was going to avoid the thing because it spews wood dust all over me, then I just may as well fork over the coin and get some work done.

Sound reasoning if you ask me.

Holy crap Dave, that's scary. It's almost like you've been listening to the conversations at my house, verbatim. And we too have been married for 42 yrs. The only difference is that it sounds like you can justify most of yours as it does create an income.

I do get to go freely on Monday nights since the wife's eyes and ears are glued to "The Bachelor"

I agree 100%!!!! My wife has green lighted everything knowing that it's all for therapy and no income.

I did just take one for the team though. Our offer on a new house was accepted yesterday. It has everything our family needs and wife wants.

My garage shop just got cut in 1/2.

Hey ken, yep, my wife hooked on dancing with the stars and I don't want to be in the house when it's on so shop time for me! And welcome to the world of home ownership mzdad, now you can fill it up with things you've made. With two daughters getting married this year and a new truck on order I don't think there will be much left over for shop equipment for a while, just wood for gifts

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be married 43 years this July.  Back in 1980 we were shopping for furniture for the young'uns and after looking at a bunch of cheaply made furniture, I convinced my wife to let me buy a radial arm saw (thats what I grew up on) and build the kids furniture.  We figured, the saw included, it would be less expensive and better quality.  Many tools later she is still supportive of all things wood.  AND the two original dressers are now being used by grandkids.   Still have the radial arm saw too but it is kind of quiet these days, just can't get rid of it.

You lucky guys. I've been married for 27 years and I still get the long faces each and every time I set a hand on my tools, no matter if it's just a screwdriver. Even when I built a lot of stuff for the house, at her own request.

Yeah, this is the price I have to pay to stay by her side. Still a good deal though

hety chet, congratulations on 43 years, 43 for us in september, its been a good ride. started woodworking 40 years ago with my dads old craftsman table saw and the idea that i could screw something up 3 times and not have into it what it would take to buy one and still have something better than what i bought, many years and more tools later i still feel the same way.

"Don't ask me no questions, and I won't tell you no lies." -'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd

This has worked for 40 years for my wife and I.  She buys clothes and I buy everything exept clothes.

Our Amazon account is under her name and credit card.  So the Porter Cable Router that I just bought showed up on her list... :)