Wall mounted Plane and Tool Cabinet

TerryMcK

Wall mounted Plane and Tool Cabinet - Part 11 - Fitting bench planes
This time I will concentrate just on ideas for vertically mounting bench planes. Specialty planes will be tackled in a later post.

I opted to use scraps of walnut or beech in conjunction with screws to mount each tool into the cabinet. This provides consistency throughout the project.

Each and every bench plane I have present a different challenge to mount vertically in the cabinet. As previously stated rare earth magnets would be used where possible. I had a rough idea of the layout having already drawn the outline of the plane till onto a piece of hardboard and played around with the position of each plane.

The first plane to mount was my Veritas bevel up jointer. This is 22" long and made from ductile cast iron. The rear edge of the sole of the plane has a pronounced curve. This edge, of course, will become the lower edge when mounted vertically. The plane would butt against the lefthand inside edge of the carcass and would be around 50mm (2") up from the base.
I had to make a matching "shoe" from some scrap walnut to hold the lower edge in place. I used a large Forstner bit to remove most of the waste and finished off with some sanding.

The shoe was mounted to the cabinet and a strip of walnut 8mm square (5/16") was fitted to the hold the outer edge of the sole. I chose this section of walnut strip as it seemed to look right and also small countersunk head screws could be used without much danger of splitting the wood.

IMG_1359.JPG

Lower shoe for jointer plane

IMG_1358.JPG

The first shoe mounted to the cabinet

IMG_1360.JPG

First plane (the jointer) fitted into place with a vertical dividing strip.
There is also a 10mm (3/8") rare earth magnet fixed to the cabinet opposite the top edge of the plane (ahead of the blade). This is strong enough to hold the weight of the plane in place. I think it would be strong enough for a heavy cast iron #8 jointer. If not two magnets would definitely be strong enough.

Then it was a simply matter of making corresponding shoes/clips to fit each plane.

IMG_1363.JPG

A scalloped shoe for a Stanley pattern #4

IMG_1364.JPG

Jointer, #5 (lower) and #4 (upper)

IMG_1365.JPG

Jointer, #5 (lower), #4 (upper), #4 (lower) in bronze), #4 (upper), #3 bevel up with a shoe for a scraper plane above two block planes.
The box with the bronze block plane on contains a chisel plane. The blade and bevel of the frog are exposed on that particular chisel plane so, rather than tempting fate, it can stay in it's protective box until needed.
The bronze #4 could not be held in place using a magnet so the upper (front) edge has a sliding clip that falls under gravity to hold it in place. You may be able to see the slotted clip in the photo.

There were many more strips/clips/shoes added after this picture was taken so you will see how it evolves in later posts.

I had taken measurements from the sole to the tip of the handle of the deepest plane long before I had designed the box to get an idea of the depth required. I added about an inch on for future tool expansion - you never know what tools you may need! This figure could then be incorporated as a salient dimension to allow an inner door to NOT foul the planes and still shut. Obviously if you are doing anything like this to maximize the volume in the box measure all your tools and fit each clip/shoe individually to each plane - they don't seem to share many consistent shapes!

Good morning Terry..... It's odd, but I don't see a resting place for a Stanley #130, or are you keeping it on the bench, do to it's continued use?

Morning Richard. That does have a place in the cabinet. It comes under the specialty planes section in my next post. I've mounted it on the right hand side wall of the carcase. You'll see when I post the next installment :)

Wall mounted Plane and Tool Cabinet - Part 12 - Fitting a rabbet (rebate) plane
The Record #778 duplex rabbet filletster plane has it's own challenges to fit snugly into the cabinet.
The best way I worked out of hanging this was to fabricate a mounting that would engage the operating handle of the plane.
I made this again from some scrap walnut. I could have used any other wood but had enough of this on hand to use. As previously stated this gives consistency throughout the project. Other woods that I intended to use were scraps of beech (used as the secondary wood in the drawers).

IMG_1366.JPG

The fitted block was cut out with a bandsaw and shaped using a combination of oscillating spindle sander and hand sanding.

IMG_1367.JPG

The fitted block was then glued and screwed (from the rear) to a straight mounting block of sufficient thickness to clear the width of the plane fence.
A magnet was mounted in a place where it would engage a flat area on the rear of the plane.

IMG_1368.JPG

The hanging bracket was positioned so the plane would be close to the inner cabinet side.

IMG_1369.JPG

The plane hung in position and like the bench planes clicks into position when it engages the magnet,

Hope you are following this so far.

• Like 1

Wall mounted Plane and Tool Cabinet - Part 13 - Fitting a router plane
I have a little used Stanley router plane from about 1950 in my collection. As far as I can tell it had never, ever, been used before I bought it a couple of years ago. Unfortunately it had been in it's original box since I bought it and I was keen to have it readily available for use.

The shape of the plane necessitated a captive shoe on both edges again with a magnet to hold the plane in place. I simply traced its lower profile onto some walnut and using some double sided tape stuck another piece of walnut underneath. I then cut the profile out on the bandsaw and finished it on the oscillating spindle sander.

After splitting the two pieces I ended up with two symmetrical shoes. I then glued these to some more scraps of sufficient thickness to mount the plane with the blade protruding up to 3/4"

IMG_1371.JPG

Shoes glued onto some walnut scrap. You can see the resulting profile emerging

After the glue had setup the shoes were cut to size, mounting holes drilled/counter sunk and a magnet glued into place.

IMG_1373.JPG

Shoes cut to size and finished

IMG_1372.JPG

Plane test fitted on the bench.

IMG_1374-001.JPG

Mounting shoes added to the cabinet. The other compartments are for shoulder planes and the Stanley #130 block plane (one for you Richard).
Everything has been positioned so no plane needs to be disturbed to get out the plane you want! 

The inner compartment is just about completed now but there is enough room for future purchases and space is left. As every mounting point is simply screwed into position any future modifications can be made easily.

IMG_1376.JPG

Empty cabinet ready to apply finish to the mountings

IMG_1375.JPG

Bench planes and a few specialty planes mounted. Note the shoulder planes fit snugly in the spaces inbetween and the Stanley #130 is fitted to the side wall. You don't have to remove it to get to any of the other tools.

There is still more to come as the rest of the cabinet is kitted out.
  • Like 1

Wall mounted Plane and Tool Cabinet - Part 15 - Screwdriver rack
I have a terrific collection of wooden handled screwdrivers, Grace USA, Lie Nielson and Joseph Marples that needed mounting in the cabinet. I still occasionally use slotted head screws and a lot of wood planes still have slotted head screws.
I opted on putting the Grace screwdrivers on the inside face of the outdoor door. I cut a piece of birch ply to length and glued on a edge band of walnut to cover the unsightly ply edges. This was in turn glued to a right angled cleat so it could be screwed to the face of the door.
Each screwdriver was measured for diameter around the shaft collar. Holes were then laid out and drilled so each square handle butted against the inside face of the door. This would present the label showing the size of each screwdriver to me.

Then slots were cut with the table saw to enable the screwdriver shafts to be withdrawn easily.
The rack was then mounted with screws to the inside of the door.

IMG_1501.JPG

Partially filled screwdriver rack

IMG_1502.JPG

Filled rack. The stubby screwdriver on the left is a Lie Nielsen plane iron fastening screwdriver.

As you see nothing to it!
  • Like 2

More equipment to mount on the inside face of the outer door.

Wall mounted Plane and Tool Cabinet - Part 16 - Spokeshave rack
I do have a lot of spokeshaves and two of my premium spokeshaves are suitable for hanging using a relatively simple hanging rack. This is very similar to one done by Kev (TIODS).
I made this using some scrap beech. The spokeshaves, a Lie Nielsen Boggs and a Veritas curved sole, were measured and suitable holes bored into each half of the rack. Then the slots were cut on the bandsaw. The LN spokeshave went into place without any more work but the Veritas had to have some carving of the slots done to permit it to go in.

The rack was then mounted on the inside face of the outer door at the top right hand corner

IMG_1500.JPG

The depth of the slots permits the  shaves to stay in an upright position.