Chest of drawers for (impending) son

bgreenb

That is a stunning piece of work, Brian.  That maple is beautiful and I see nothing but top-notch craftsmanship.  An heirloom that will be treasured long after you're dead meat.  Fantastic job.

Just a thought...IMO there would be no more elegant solution for your pulls than small, simple, turned...ebony.

Thanks Eric.  Very high praise and I appreciate it.

Yeah I was even thinking of maybe using walnut, as I have a bunch of small scraps in my shop.  Gonna run it by the wife and see.  One thing that's nice about using knobs is I can go with one thing for a while and see how I like it and then replace it down the line with any style knob I want.

Brian, Excellent job!

Just out of curiosity as I've never done shiplapped, why are you using screws and where will you locate them? I guess common sense would be for wood movement?

Thanks!  I will locate one screw at the center of each board on the top and bottom.  That way each center will be anchored and each board can move side to side on the overlapping rabbets.  I've seen people do it differently by gluing the center or using brad nails or whatever.  I like the idea of being able to take the back boards off if I ever need to deal with any drawer issues in the future.  I will snap a pick of the back when I get it installed.

Thanks everyone for your compliments!

Brian, that chest of drawers is awe-inspiring. Between your exactingly detailed execution, and that perfectly matched, incredibly figured grain, the piece is just amazing. Walnut sounds like a good choice for the pulls, but might I suggest carving, rather than plain turned mushrooms? Although the shaker style is elegant and simple, that wonderful grain screams for a complimentary form in the 'accessories'! If your baby was a girl, I'd say do some rose petals, but with a boy, maybe some bear or wolf heads would be better.

Keep up the good work!

Another thing - I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the two wood suppliers where I got all this beautiful stock.  I think I mentioned in my first post that most of the lumber came from Bob Kloes (at forum member Ace's recommendation): http://www.bobkloes.com..  Bob was very easy to work with and is a furniture builder himself.  I sent him my plans and told him what I thought I needed.  He asked me how wide I wanted (2 board panels or 3 board panels) and advised me on shipping costs.  Obviously the more you order the more economical it is because he can ship by pallets, so if you have other woodworkers in your area and want to team up on a purchase that's probably the way to do it.  

The two bottom drawer fronts came from www.curlymaplewood.com.  I stumbled across this place on a google search.  They have unbelievably beautiful stuff (mostly curly maple but also some gorgeous cherry and walnut).  They have pictures of each board (usually multiple high quality photos).  They were very responsive by email, shipped same day for reasonable prices, and threw in a couple of shorts for free.  The $/BF is probably on the pricey side depending on where you are, but it's nice to see exactly what a board is going to look like if you want that "one special board" for a project.

No affiliation with either of these businesses.  Just a satisfied customer.  

Brian, just curious. You said the two bottom drawer fronts came from a different supplier than the rest. One, all of the wood looks like it came from the same place(it's beautiful) and two, why not all of it from Bob Kloes?

Brian, just curious. You said the two bottom drawer fronts came from a different supplier than the rest. One, all of the wood looks like it came from the same place(it's beautiful) and two, why not all of it from Bob Kloes?

So Bob sent me plenty of wood for the whole project, and when I got all the boards I put four aside for the drawer fronts (the most figured ones in the stack).  Unfortunately when it came time to do the drawers the two wide boards had cupped quite a bit and I was worried about being able to get the 7/8 thickness.  All the other boards were well behaved but for whatever reason these ones didn't like my shop environment.  So I put them aside for a future project.  At that point I had stumbled across the other site and liked the idea of being able to select the two drawer fronts from a nice clear picture.  It allowed me to match the other boards exactly too.

• 2 years later...