How well do you clean your power tools?

Tom Cancelleri

Vacuuming under the tablesaw to get at the innards is a job I put off. That would mean getting down on my knees and it's not good on my dodgy hips. I probably do it once a year.

I try to keep most other power tools, indeed the entire shop, as clean as I can. All cast iron surfaces are kept clean and Boeshielded (is that a word?) and coated with paste wax.

One of the first things I learnt how to use, when I was an engineering apprentice many moons ago, was a broom.

During Sandy, we lost around 30-40 trees in the 36”-48” range and some in the 48”-60”. Definitely a job for a pro outfit… They wanted my saws -- and wanted me out of the way… :)

Trip where do you live?  I only ask because you've made a few references to Sandy, so I assume northeast.  And having that much damage I would think NJ or CT...am I warm?

My in laws live in southern CT about 30-40 yards from the ocean.  I spent a lot of time helping them clean up.  Their entire basement filled to the brim with seawater and about 18" of their first floor as well.  My father in law had to rewire the entire basement and first floor (along with a bunch of other work).  My brother in law and I were literally pulling dead fish and seaweed out of the basement.

I use a Toro electric leaf blower for a number of things it wasn't intended for.  One is cleaning out the shops.  I built both shops with wide doors on the ends facing closest to Southwest , and fairly large doors on the opposite end.  Our prevailing warm winds are from the Southwest.   When the time is right, and we have a strong breeze from the Southwest, I'll open both doors, and send any stray dust airborne with that blower, and let the wind take it out the back door.  Of course, I start at the windward end.  With a strong enough breeze, it's quite remarkable how effective it is, with no respirator necessary even.

Compressed air with a 4' wand catches the places where the blower moves too much air.

Here's where I found out about using a side grinder, with wire cup wheel, spinning a Scotchbrite pad.  Jack is using a small grinder here, where works fine, but I have one big 15 amp side grinder that I keep a knotted wire cup on anyway.  The big grinder requires two hands, but has enough weight that you don't have to push down on it much, keeps the working part farther away from shirt tails, and is quite a bit faster than this 4-1/2 incher. I've never spent 15 minutes on any machine top to get it from rust to shiny.   I don't bother to cut the pads in circles either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uMrVusnaEg

I was copying and pasting Jack's link somewhere else, and remembered this thread, so I bought it here too.   This is worth watching.  I use a larger 15 amp side grinder with wire cup that I keep on that one all the time anyway, and it's at least twice as fast as the 4-1/2' grinder.  I don't bother to cut the Scotchbrite pads into circles.

It makes a complete rust bucket table saw top into a nice shiny thing in probably less than a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uMrVusnaEg