Kitchen Table Joints

shawnm

Hey everyone, Im just getting into woodworking. I want to do a rustic type kitchen table for my wife. My question is what is the strongest or best option for joining the long grain to long grain lengths of wood. I'm not entirely sure on the dimensions yet but want to fit 8-10 ppl comfortably. I can't see biscuits being strong enough. Do you do tongue and groove? small mortise and tenons (floating tenon)? Thanks for your input.

Shawn

You don't need any additional reinforcement.  The long-grain to long-grain glue bond is strong enough on its own as long as your boards are straight, your joints are clean, and your edges are a perfect 90*.  Clamp sufficiently and the joint will be stronger than the wood itself.  You can use biscuits to help with alignment, and that's recommended, but they're not necessary for strength.

• Like 2

Agreeing with Eric - long grain to long grain edge glue up is strong enough and additions like biscuits only aid in alignment.  On the other hand, I've been working on a "rustic" dining table for a little bit and I've used tongue and groove just because.

Some wood glues are theoretically stronger than others. Within the titebond line, for example, 3 is stronger than 2 and 2 is stronger than 1. But pretty much all the modern wood glues form a bond stronger than the wood itself anyway, so the wood will break before the glue bond regardless of which glue is used. So use whatever you have or best suits the application in terms of water resistance, open time, usability, cost, etc.