Building Custom Furniture on commission ($$$)

Chester

I agree with Vic on $1,500 not because it's not something I would want to do but because that's what it's worth at the very least to a professionsl.

Materails 200-300

Design time 4-5 hours

pick up materail 1.5 hours

Machine materail 1

Cut machine and assemble 20

Build doors 3

Finish 9 hours

35.5 hours @ $30 1,065 + Tax 1,162

Now I figure my overhead at about $20/hour that's the number I need to make on a project before I get an hourly wage or any profit. So for poops and giggles figure my shop rate at $50/hr*35.5 1,775 plus tax...

Funny thing I read posts all the time where people talk about pricing and no one ever talks about overhead:( If you even slightly thinking about going pro knowing your actual costs is a must if you are going to succeed!!! Start now or fail later!!!

R Jones

This is "right-on" with my current thought. I read an excerpt from "Pricing Your Work" by Dan Ramsey (http://www.amazon.com/Woodworkers-Guide-Pricing-Your-Work/dp/1558705813/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294263329&sr=8-1) ... where he said that most woodworkers never think about the cost of their overhead. Some of us do not consider it overhead because we are woodworkers ... we would have our tools and our shops whether we sold anything of not. But that is the flaw in our thinking. Our overhead (our tools and shops) is THE tool that we push to do the job. The cost of that tool can not be discounted. Without that tool, what would we push ... at whatever hourly rate?

PS - I believe that $50/hour is a very good starting rate!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images