Another great Bell Forest customer service experience

Won't get into the detail, but Bell Forest has once again exhibited above and beyond customer service on one of my orders.

I use them for two reasons:

- My time is worth more than any offset in price between them and the lumber yard

- I continue to use them for their excellent customer service

• Like 1

Aren't you guys getting killed in shipping? I called them once and quoted out 120bf of different woods. Mostly qswo and cherry. Their price was really good. Shipping added almost 75% of the wood cost to the total bill.

My time is also valuable and I work hard for the money I make. Paying 50-75% over for mere convenience I'd just not in my nature

Aren't you guys getting killed in shipping? I called them once and quoted out 120bf of different woods. Mostly qswo and cherry. Their price was really good. Shipping added almost 75% of the wood cost to the total bill.

My time is also valuable and I work hard for the money I make. Paying 50-75% over for mere convenience I'd just not in my nature

I agree, and not knocking Bell Forest, as I've never tried them. I'm sure their product and service is exceptional as stated by many. And they absolutely have to pass the shipping on the the customer.

But unless there is no local supplier, why?

And besides, I like to run my hands over the rough cut boards, and pick the splinters later!

Likelihood of me getting bored and buying 30 board feet of curly maple online during my 5 minute lunch at my desk 100%

Likelihood of me having the time to go to any of the many lumber yards in town 0%

I think that argument went for our side. Helping vinny keep hold of his money. Just another service offered
  • Like 1

I just sent them a dear John letter. Ordered 20 bd ft of wood 15 days ago and it will be arriving tomorrow. It took them 5 business days to ship it . When I asked if there's anything they can do to expedite shipping dustin basically said "we can 3 day Ship it for an extra forty bucks " I'll be buying locally from now on .

I just sent them a dear John letter. Ordered 20 bd ft of wood 15 days ago and it will be arriving tomorrow. It took them 5 business days to ship it . When I asked if there's anything they can do to expedite shipping dustin basically said "we can 3 day Ship it for an extra forty bucks " I'll be buying locally from now on .

So you paid for the expedited shipping and it took 15 days

No I refused to pay forty additional dollars for extra shipping. They presented it as a deal offering me their discount on the shipping. I don't see that as a deal at all because they didn't even ship the order in 6 business days. If they had shipped it within the time they strive for on their shipping information page it would have already arrived by then with standard shipping. So I paid for the order 15 days ago and it will arrive tomorrow. I sure hope the curly maple they shipped is breathtaking .

Which one is it?

"It took them 5 business days to ship it"

or

"Because they didn't even ship the order in 6 business days"

You refused an upgraded shipping option with a time frame guarantee and are blasting them?

I ship bow parts all the time. Depending on what service is paid for, it can take days or weeks to arrive at it's destination. Ground freight options usually wait for a 53 foot trailer to be filled up before departing you may be the first box on, May be the last. It sounds juvenile to me to flame a company because of your decision to only pay standard freight.

Which one is it?

"It took them 5 business days to ship it"

or

"Because they didn't even ship the order in 6 business days"

You refused an upgraded shipping option with a time frame guarantee and are blasting them?

I ship bow parts all the time. Depending on what service is paid for, it can take days or weeks to arrive at it's destination. Ground freight options usually wait for a 53 foot trailer to be filled up before departing you may be the first box on, May be the last. It sounds juvenile to me to flame a company because of your decision to only pay standard freight.

It took them 6 days to ship it. Yet in their shipping policy it says they ship same or next day. When I inquired they offered to have me pay to upgrade shipping status on an item that would have already arrived under their policy. It's right in my post..

I'm not blasting them just stating my experience was not all that great.

PS it's hardly juvenile to expect them to ship an order within the time they state they can.

I have been very happy with Bell Forest. The only major complaint is they take over a week to ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly . It was explained to me that the week long shipping deal was because they were super busy I've said enough about that. The wood showed up and I'm very happy with the wood. I'll be going elsewhere though. I do like that you can hand pick boards there.

If you're ever looking for curly maple, walnut, or cherry, take a look here:  http://www.curlymaplewood.com/

You can hand pick your boards too, and they ship same day.  I've ordered from them twice.  They are in the midwest, I am in Boston, and both orders were on my doorstep in two days.  Both orders included at least one short piece thrown in for free.  Very easy to work with.

(To be fair I also like Bell Forest and have ordered from them before, I'm just throwing these guys out there because you were upset about the slow shipping).

I've only bought online from hardwoodtogo.com.  At first it was really to show support for the podcast, but if there is something specific you are looking for drop shannon a line.  There are affiliated with a commercial dealer, so really specialize in your common US and exotic species.  However, it is all first quality, correctly graded stock so you yield will be high.   I ordered about 30 bd ft of VCG doug fir from him and it was the most beautiful lumber I have ever worked. ]

Where are the curlymaplewood.com people located? It's not indicated on the site, I guess it's a secret of sorts, but it's midwest?

It would be cool to walk in and get these prices without paying shipping.

Bell Forest (MI) is too far.

I just checked the tracking on my last package from them and the origin was Austinburg, OH, so I'd imagine somewhere near there. Kevin is very responsive to email so you could also shoot them an email to ask.

I just checked the tracking on my last package from them and the origin was Austinburg, OH, so I'd imagine somewhere near there. Kevin is very responsive to email so you could also shoot them an email to ask.

Oh thanks, but that's an hour worse.  It's good to know there's good service out there after the last two business I had to deal with.