NEW IN BOX Powermatic 8" Helical Head Jointer - $2000

oquinonez

I have a BRAND NEW IN-BOX Powermatic 60HH 8" Helical Head Jointer. I ordered it but am unable to use it due to electrical constraints in my house. My mistake is your gain. I don't have any pics of it in my possession just yet s its being delivered today(4/22).  Below is the description from the powermatic site and stock pic.

Thanks bgreenb!  I am located in San Francisco as is the jointer.

If I return it to PM they will charge me for shipping to and from my location in San Francisco to Tennessee where Jet/PM factory is.

This 8 In. jointer meets the demand for accuracy while combining unique, user-friendly functions. The Infeed table lever can be used to rapidly position table height, then the handle rotated for fine-adjustment of cut depth. Fence tilting is accomplished by a worm gear system, smoothly operated by a simple hand wheel. The tables provide 73 In. long extended support. A non-mar insert in the fence protects the table from scratches during adjustments. The jointer is available with a three knife cutter head, or a helical cutter head with four-sided knife inserts. The operating switch is high mounted for easy reach, and the push blocks have a magnetic base - store them on any metallic surface for instant access.

Additional Features
Helical cutter head with four-sided inserts provides smoother, quieter cutting and a superior finish
Extra long tables are mounted on dovetailed ways, for extended workpiece support
Adjustment lever offers quick Infeed table positioning and fine-tuning of cut depth

High mount switch for operator convenience

post-17771-0-52730700-1429719248_thumb.j

You can't return it to PM?

It would also help to know where you are located.

Thanks bgreenb.

I asked that question and Acme tools(who I ordered it from) said PM will charge them then me the cost of shipping to and from TN to CA.  I'm in San Francisco.  I edited the original post to include that info.  

So,

(Price you paid) + 2 x (Shipping TN  CA) <= (Price you want) + (Shipping CA to ??)

Savings <= ( 2 x (Shipping TN  CA) ) - (Shipping CA to ??)

Could you let us know the price you paid, and the cost of shipping TN - CA?

The Powermatic 60HH is $2,245. Price is regulated by Powermatic. I'm guessing freight it at least 350-400 bucks. 

BC,

I got the jointer during the sale. so I paid right around $2K for the jointer.  

The sale is over and now you can't get this jointer for anything less than what T has already highlighted.

And the shipping is going to cost me likely $600 if I refuse it and ship it back to TN.

The Powermatic 60HH is $2,245. Price is regulated by Powermatic. I'm guessing freight it at least 350-400 bucks. 

SOLD!

Sjeff, the electrician told me it would be $1k for installing the service IF we could find the right circuit breaker.  I only had one spot left in my panel so that was the main risk.  If we couldn't find the right circuit breaker i would need a whole new panel likely bringing the cost up to 1.5-2K.  For me as a hobbyist it didn't seem worth it right now.  

SOLD!

Sjeff, the electrician told me it would be $1k for installing the service IF we could find the right circuit breaker.  I only had one spot left in my panel so that was the main risk.  If we couldn't find the right circuit breaker i would need a whole new panel likely bringing the cost up to 1.5-2K.  For me as a hobbyist it didn't seem worth it right now.  

You need another electrician. You can buy a 20 or 30-amp 2-pole circuit breaker for any panel at any Big Box store for around $30. If you only have a single-pole space available you can get a duplex breaker to gang up 2 single-pole spaces, leaving room for the 2-pole breaker to run the jointer.

I'll call BS on that, you need to find another electrician. You're being scammed. Or, more correctly, you've been scammed.

Sorry to hear.

• Like 1

You need another electrician. You can buy a 20 or 30-amp 2-pole circuit breaker for any panel at any Big Box store for around $30. If you only have a single-pole space available you can get a duplex breaker to gang up 2 single-pole spaces, leaving room for the 2-pole breaker to run the jointer.

I'll call BS on that, you need to find another electrician. You're being scammed. Or, more correctly, you've been scammed.

Sorry to hear.

Maybe.... If his panel is full he might need to install a sub panel. $1000-2000 might be fair depending on where the sub is located in relation to the main. Also, I think you are proposing mini (split?) breaker. Pretty sure they are against code in many jurisdictions. I agree a second opinion always makes sense but I wouldn't automatically assume he is being scammed.

Sorry to hear.

That's what I was thinking. If you are willing to do the work you can save thousands on electrians. And it's usually no more complicated than "what wire is rated for this breaker?"

Sorry to hear.

Eh, you never know.  

I had an electrician come out and wire two new 110 circuits and a 220 in my garage when I started to really equip my shop.  He ran all the conduit and put in the plugs and everything, start to finish.  Cost me around $300 I think.

I guess there could be some extenuating circumstances that we aren't aware of...but $1K just seem really high for one run.

Anyhow, congrats on the sale and sorry it didn't work out better for you.