Breakfast nook bench(Advice needed)

Hi all,

I'm putting together a breakfast nook bench for my kitchen.  The bench will open on the top for storage under the seating area. The project will be made from mostly 3/4" A1 Maple plywood, the top will be bread boarded with poplar and the whole project painted(likely white).

My question is about joinery.  I'm debating on whether I need rabbets on the end pieces to set the carcass into with glue or should I just use butt joints with festool dominoes?  I can use pocket screws too, but I'd like to use something a bit stronger as I'm imagining this piece taking lots of abuse from kids and folks climbing in and out of the seat.

I know I'm likely over thinking this but I want to make sure it comes out nice and any experience out 

Thanks,

Oscar

I actually think any of the methods would work fine. I'd suggest, if it works for your storage needs, to put a divider halfway between the ends dado'ed into the front and back. That will help significantly in reducing the ability of the front and back panels to flex. It will also provide additional support for the seat above.

• Like 1