Domino for bed headboard?

I used the 10x50s to build this bed.  The XL would be better for bed construction but I'm fairly confident in its strength...it came out rock solid.  This particular one is a double for my little boy, so it shouldn't take much abuse for quite a few years.  If I were building a queen or bigger for "active" adults, I'd want to use the XL for sure.

DSC_00472.jpg

I just finished a twin and used the Domino 500 for the headboard and footboard. I made my on "dominos" because I wanted to go wider than the standard sizes. Seems very solid, and for peace of mind I pinned each tenon. If you are using 4/4 for the rails, you can only get so thick with the tenons and I don't think the extra length buys you all that much.

• Like 2

I just built a twin bed for my 2 year old and used dominos. I used the xl with 12x70 mm dominos (that i cut from long domino stock) and the thing us bulletproof. An "active" couple would not break these joints. Im sure the 10mm dominos with the df500 would be sufficient.

I would seriously consider adding a 8/4 (1 1/2" to 1 3/4" thick) crosspiece to the top and bottom of the headboard and footboard, using 10mm dominos in those connections. The 1x6 boards won't be under near as much stress then .

If you look at Eric's picture there are thicker cherry crosspieces and a maple panel.