Cleaning a new cast iron table saw

I just purchased a new Grizzly table saw and got it all cleaned up and ready to cut. My only concern is when I finally got all the anti rust protectant off of the table top, a lot of little black specs showed up that I can't seem to get off. Any ideas on what I should do. They are not rough to the touch and don't impeed on a nice smooth straight cut. They just look a little wierd.

Did you cover or "seal" the surface after you cleaned it? Did you wipe the bare cast iron with water to wash it?

I got my equipment from Grizzly a few weeks ago and once it was cleaned of the grease I covered with Rennaisance Wax and have had no problems. Surfaces are shiny silver colour.

I love the Ferrari comment. I guess your right. And I did apply a liberal coat of paste wax. But these specks happened in between cleaning and applying the wax, which was only an hour or so.

When I clean my cast iron, I wipe it off with mineral spirits, then immediately wipe it down with crc 3-36

This saw is from Taiwan...do you still think that could be it? On a related note....how clean will the cast iron table remain once you start working on it. Does it scratch up and look used easily or should it remain mark free.

Remember the last pair of tennis shoes you bought.... And look at them now.

Your concerns will diminish once your neighbor places his beer can on it! Hopefully he's not your only friend!

• Like 2

I know it's new...my Grizz did the same thing...just cringe and cut something.  the more use it sees, the more of that type of thing goes away. My shop is a detached garage and is not regularly climate controlled. I've tried all sorts of things to protect the top and it still loves to develop rust.  My last time I rubbed it with a fine scotch bright pad, wiped it off and sprayed CRC336 all over it THICK and left it for a week.  A week later, the CRC was dried and sticky.  I sprayed more CRC and wiped it all off.  Black spots and blemishes everywhere; but no rust....and no transfer to the wood either.  A couple months later, still no rust.

if it feels smooth, it is smooth.  it is a tool, not Cameron's Dad's Ferrari.   :)

He doesn't drive it, he just rubs it with a diaper.

Yeah, that new saw smell will wear off soon enough.  Cast iron gets scratched.  That's life.

I hear nothing but good things about Boeshield T-9. Since Boesheild isn't readily available here, I went with Fluid Film. Since Fluid Flim doesn't dry out, probably not suitable for a table saw used in "fine" wood working. Below is a pic from a independent lab test...

test-results-300x146.jpg

That being said, I used FF on my portable table saw...as luck would have it, there was a leak in the garage and my saw was the "bucket" catching all the water. Short story shorter; I have no idea how long the leak was there, but my saw is still rust free. And that says a lot since I live in Newfoundland, Canada. Rust here is a fact of life...I've been to the nut house and back trying to prevent rust. I can honestly say, I probably hate rust more than everyone here combined...

https://youtu.be/sTP7f6t8CGk

Edit: I just pulled this from Fluid Films website...maybe it would be ok for your table saw.

Does FLUID FILM attract dirt?
Because FLUID FILM remains wet, it will get an initial dusting upon application, but because it contains no solvents and will not become sticky, it will not gum up or create a build up of dirt.

Second Edit: Further down it says this...so maybe the film will transfer to the wood and cause issues when finishing. 

Does FLUID FILM dry out?
No. FLUID FILM is a lanolin based product containing no solvents. It will not evaporate or dry from the surface. FLUID FILM will leave a wet, non-drying film, that will provide long term corrosion protection on all metals and superior lubrication for all moving parts.

Best just to reference the Ferrari line. It's a saw, not a dining table from Louis the XIV palace. Or just replace the cast iron top with granite. 

Sorry, I was zero help...if it didn't take me so long to compile my post, I would just delete it.

Edited by neoOberon

Remember the last pair of tennis shoes you bought.... And look at them now.

Your concerns will diminish once your neighbor places his beer can on it! Hopefully he's not your only friend!

This is infuriating. Anybody Thai 2 comes into my shop is told no drinks on cast iron. It still happens way too often.