Sign in to follow this  
Beechwood Chip

Scotch Brite Pads

I had never heard of Scotch Brite Pads before I started reading WTO.  I guess I had seen them sold for cleaning pots and pans, But no one I knew used them.

But here I keep seeing, "use a (gray, red, etc) Scotch Brite Pad" like people say "use 120 grit sandpaper".  

I've only seen the green ones sold in stores.  I googled, and couldn't find any assortment packs.  Amazon sells boxes of 10 or 20, all the same color, in maroon, green, gray, red, white, and tan.  At $7 to $30 a box that gets into real money to buy all the colors.

Where do you buy your Scotch Brite Pads, what colors do you use, and what do you use them for?

At one point, I got a box of each -- some are more DIY, some are more useful in the shop... Here is my 'shop' use list...

Green: remove surface corrosion/tarnish/etc from cast iron tools. Remove loose paint, coatings, etc – think aggressive abrasive pads.

White: remove spray nibs (if any) and impart a semi-gloss sheen w/ WB finishes. Similar to construction paper trick, but the scratch pattern is more even...

Maroon: work mid-coats of oils, poly,  etc into the grain.

Maroon: Apply waxes to cast iron surfaces

Lt Gray: work last few coats of oil, poly, etc into the grain

Lt Gray: used w/ solvent, remove dirt, grime, etc from machinery

Lt Gray: Work w/ finish strippers

Until Norton 3x sanding pads came along, used for inter-coat on film finishes.

Think of SB as sandpaper that you can ‘scrub a surface’, but unlike sandpaper, you really won't dish the surface -- it's because SB will impart a scratch pattern, but not really cleave fiber bundles --- there's a better explination, but I'm doing this on the go....

SB is not a substitute for sandpaper/sanding pads – it doesn’t cleave...

I get my boxes from Jamestown Distributers – I’m not sure I’ve ever seen an assortment pack. Shelf life in infinite, so getting a box of each will last a very long time...

• Like 2

I bought SB pads at home depot...the same section I bought Steel Wool from. I can't remember the colours available, but I bought green, gray and blue (looks blue to me). 

The ones I bought are more a "sponge" than a sheet of sand paper. I assume they're close enough...just a different "format".

51FqHcOXvfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The maroon pad are just right for rehabilitating an old kitchen sink.  It will remove the old scratches & leave a smooth scratch pattern just like new.  Needs to be used in a power tool or it'll take forever.

Paint aisles in big box stores.  I mainly use them under wire cup brushes on a side grinder to maintain cast iron tops on tools we don't use much.

I am not a fan of scotch brite they die too fast. 3m sanding sponges last three times as long and do a better job. Current wholesale price is .20 ea unfortunately retail is is closer to $2 ea. Sanding supply prices are seriously inflated for retail markets.

• Like 1

I am not a fan of scotch brite they die too fast. 3m sanding sponges last three times as long and do a better job. Current wholesale price is .20 ea unfortunately retail is is closer to $2 ea. Sanding supply prices are seriously inflated for retail markets.

Well your not using them correctly. Are you using them on wood or a finish? 

-Ace-