New Dovetail Plugin for SketchUp

sean335

Thaks, that's great!

On a slightly related note - do you know a good resource for learning how to program a sketchup plug-in? I've often thought about it, but don't really know where to start.

Depends on what direction you are coming from.  Here's a basic basic start:

http://www.sketchup.com/intl/en/developer/docs/new_to_ruby

Depends on what direction you are coming from.  Here's a basic basic start:

http://www.sketchup.com/intl/en/developer/docs/new_to_ruby

Thanks - I got the "HelloWorld" plugin working, so it'll probably put me on the right track.

hopefully by the time I need to plan another project in sketchup I'll be ready to make some of the tools I wish it had.

Thaks, that's great!

On a slightly related note - do you know a good resource for learning how to program a sketchup plug-in? I've often thought about it, but don't really know where to start.

The source code for almost all plugins is open to anyone to see.  I just learned by taking a look at the source for CutList and then kind of followed their same strategy.  Sketchup has pretty good API documentation here: http://www.sketchup.com/intl/en/developer/.  I will say that thinking in 3 dimensions gave me quite a few headaches, and a great refresher in linear algebra.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now if you could make cutting dovetails as easy.

Isn't that just a CNC?

*runs for the bunker*

The source code for almost all plugins is open to anyone to see.  I just learned by taking a look at the source for CutList and then kind of followed their same strategy.  Sketchup has pretty good API documentation here: http://www.sketchup.com/intl/en/developer/.  I will say that thinking in 3 dimensions gave me quite a few headaches, and a great refresher in linear algebra.

Thanks a lot, now I'm going to have another hobby that involves programming outside of my web development job...

• 3 months later...

I find it the easiest in Sketchup to make the dovetail on a workspace which is another group, this is to prevent the newly drawn dovetail from sticking on the workspace.

You then copy and paste the dovetail on the parts. When you select the group and activate the move tool you can copy the active group by holding ctrl while moving the group with your mouse. CTRL + V works too.

Every part in your drawing should be a group or a component. You need to either be in the editing mode for the part or in outliner pull the dovetail into the group or component.

After that you explode the dovetail into the group or component. If you use a component this will change all copies of this component. For this reason I generally use groups only.

After you explode the dovetail you need to draw a line in the group so the dovetail will merge into the part.

You can use this same method for the internal dovetail, you explode the dovetail, draw a line over the exploded part, this should be a blue line, and then you can delete the piece to make the internal dovetail visible.

• 6 months later...
On 5/29/2015 at 4:48 AM, wtnhighlander said:

It certainly looks awesome in the rendering! I don't use sketchup much, as it is a real hassle to use on Linux, but I'd really like to get back into it sometime.

I primarily use Mac but have a couple linux boxes as well. What do you use for projects? Or maybe you don't use the computer for that and just draw it out on paper?

I primarily use Mac but have a couple linux boxes as well. What do you use for projects? Or maybe you don't use the computer for that and just draw it out on paper?

If the project has complex joinery that I haven't tried before, I'll build it in Sketchup. I run a Windowz VM on my linux machine, since I haven't successfully run Sketchup in WINE since version 8.

I do a lot more sketches with a pencil and engineer's graph paper, though. And that just gives me general dimensions. Once the major components are sized (like the carcase of a cabinet), the remaining parts are cht by relative dimensioning. I never use a cut list for dimensions.

• Like 1