CL transaction

trz

I found an item on cl that i want but I'm in Michigan and the item is in Pheonix Az. Small item probably 15# or so, so shipping cost wouldn't be an issue.

But, is there a "SAFE" way to make a long distance transaction ?

Seller doesn't want to use paypal. He suggested going to walmart and wiring money. ????

If I knew someone personally that lived in Pheonix I would have them pick it up for me but I don't,

What's the best way to do it? Or should I pass?

I don't have two hundy to gamble with so I think I'll pass on this one .

Thanks a lot for that info.

I would contact Marc and see if he would take a look at the item but Im sure he's kicked back sipping a cold one and I hate to pull anyone away from that!

On the flip side, for a seller to accept paypal is a huge risk. The scam is that people pay in paypal, take the item then reverse the charge, keeping the item and the money. Paypal sides with the buyer about 100% of the time no questions asked. To the point where people who make a living on ebay are having trouble staying in business.

Cash is the only way to truly buy on CL.

Paypal sides with the buyer about 100% of the time no questions asked. To the point where people who make a living on ebay are having trouble staying in business.

Sorry, this is just entirely wrong.  I've had a few incidents go through paypal resolutions, and every time it ended up in my favor.  It's not even close to "about 100% of the time no questions asked."  That's so far removed from reality it's obvious you just "heard that somewhere."  I'm a professional online seller, and while ebay is not my primary venue, I do sell quite a bit there...and business is fine.  If you're an honest seller with clean, quality goods and you ship quickly, then 99.9% of your transactions are going to go smoothly.  The other .001% is just life.  If you know people who are struggling to make a living selling online, that's their problem, not ebay's or paypal's.  There are many very rich small-time online sellers.

The biggest problem with ebay is that people still see it as a huge online garage sale, and they'll haggle with you over a freakin' nickel.  But that's another conversation.

• Like 1

Sorry, this is just entirely wrong.  I've had a few incidents go through paypal resolutions, and every time it ended up in my favor.  It's not even close to "about 100% of the time no questions asked."  That's so far removed from reality it's obvious you just "heard that somewhere."  I'm a professional online seller, and while ebay is not my primary venue, I do sell quite a bit there...and business is fine.  If you're an honest seller with clean, quality goods and you ship quickly, then 99.9% of your transactions are going to go smoothly.  The other .001% is just life.  If you know people who are struggling to make a living selling online, that's their problem, not ebay's or paypal's.  There are many very rich small-time online sellers.

The biggest problem with ebay is that people still see it as a huge online garage sale, and they'll haggle with you over a freakin' nickel.  But that's another conversation.

I have had it go both ways.

There have been times when eBay/PayPal were reasonable.

But most recently eBay sided with the customer who sent back a product different from the one I sent.

They do not care.

No system is perfect.  Mistakes are made.  But to say that they side with buyers 100% without question is just flat wrong.  Scammers will scam and occasionally they'll get away with it.  That's the .001% I mentioned.

I've experienced credit card fraud a couple times...that doesn't keep me from using credit cards.  I've been screwed by insurance companies but I still carry insurance.  I've had items break the day after a warranty expired and I've been told tough luck.  I still buy things.  There's inherent risk in every aspect of consumerism, not just buying online.

Black and white thinking dominates everything these days...if something isn't perfect, it sucks.

• Like 1

On the flip side, for a seller to accept paypal is a huge risk. The scam is that people pay in paypal, take the item then reverse the charge, keeping the item and the money. Paypal sides with the buyer about 100% of the time no questions asked. To the point where people who make a living on ebay are having trouble staying in business.

Cash is the only way to truly buy on CL.

That is just not true. Pay pal protects both parties equally. In order to get your money back, you have to file a complaint which a real person follows up on.

I had someone try to scam me when buying a bow. They sent pay pal, I shipped the bow. A week later they filed a claim that said I shipped them an empty box.

I told the PayPal rep exactly what was in there, they did their own research to determine the weight which matched my ups receipt to within a few oz. PayPal denied the complaint, and shut down the buyers account