Adirondack Furniture

Morning Gents (and ladies),

SWMBO would like some Adirondack furniture as I feel up to it when my shop nears that stage.  There are a LOT of "plans" out there, but not many variations that I really like.  The one I like the most I think is this one:

16207-01-1000.jpg

I don't know what it is I like about it except that all the curves are in the right places - sometimes they can be a little too utilitarian, you know?  This originally appeared in Woodworker's Journal Volume 10, Issue 4, Page 38. Jul/Aug 1986 and is available from Rockler's for $4.19.  I certainly don't mind paying for plans, I am not artistic enough to envision my own furniture - even garden furniture.  Some of the comments about that one however suggest the plans are "older style" meaning not quite as detailed as contemporary plans.  

These from Veritas seem about perfect:

05l0501s2.jpg05l0540s3.jpg

The "family" of options is a nice touch - as is a folding Adirondack chair (although the rocker wouldn't fold I don't think). 

I believe what I like about these is the nice arched top (can do that with any plans more than likely), the curved back, and the straight base of the back which avoids a large strange "paddle" shaped slat to go up against the base.  I've also seen plans for gliders - not in this style though.  Looking at all of them I think a guy could put a cross-piece joining the two legs on each side, and then do the linkage down to a base.

Does anyone have experience with any of these plans?  I think the Veritas ones come with full size templates which would make things much easier.  I could do them in MDF first and use those as a router template.

Any tips for me as I decide on my "Adirondack Furniture Family"?

We’ve got loads of Adirondack furniture – most of it uncomfortable to get in/out of... If you’re set on the design, so be it... I’d get a book on outdoor furniture projects (I think I’ve got Taunton’s) – there are plenty of other designs with plans...

We’ve got loads of Adirondack furniture – most of it uncomfortable to get in/out of... If you’re set on the design, so be it... I’d get a book on outdoor furniture projects (I think I’ve got Taunton’s) – there are plenty of other designs with plans...

It's not the easiest to get out of, but maybe the most comfortable to sit in ... for me anyway.  :)

Thanks for the tip - I'll have a look for that book.  Is it this one?

outdoor-wood-projects-071468.jpg

I've made a few and followed plans for beginner from Woodcraft. I read an article in Woodsmith magazine about the angle for the back. I have to say that the 90 degrees makes my back hurt while sitting for a while with neighbors but is easy in/out. The 100 degrees I can sit a good long time time and it isn't too much harder to get in/out of.

post-206-0-39973600-1434886755_thumb.jpgYou can download the plan for a Jakes Chair free.  It was designed for large people and to get in and out of easily.  I've built a few of these and this last one about five years ago with cedar.  I got tired of the dull grey color of aging and painted it Teal.  Really brightens up the neighborhood.  

• Like 1

You can download the plan for a Jakes Chair free.  It was designed for large people and to get in and out of easily.  I've built a few of these and this last one about five years ago with cedar.  I got tired of the dull grey color of aging and painted it Teal.  Really brightens up the neighborhood.  

Thanks Rick; good ideas found searching that name.