Laundry Hamper Build

h3nry

Weekly Update:

As predicted - progress is a bit slow at this point. Still working on the panels. Theres still a bit more to do before the carving gouges come out - but I can start to see the effect I'm looking for...

post-4067-0-59009300-1437359691_thumb.jp

• Like 2

You do some really tedious work, Henry.

Oh it's not that bad - put on some good tunes, keep a fresh pot of tea handy, sharpen up the chisels and get in the zone...

Not much to report this week. I finished cutting the lattice-work on the panels. Then finally made a decision on the design I'm going to try and put in the centre of the panels. I decided not to go with Vinny's suggestion of a "soiled linens" theme - but with a bit of help from Google images, decided on some patterns featuring birds ...

post-4067-0-86811400-1437952263_thumb.jppost-4067-0-28110300-1437952251_thumb.jp

I'm looking forward to getting started on the carving - but the true magnitude of this project is now becoming apparent!

I'm looking forward to getting started on the carving - but the true magnitude of this project is now becoming apparent!

Wait, NOW the true magnitude is coming apparent??!

This is just awesome, Henry.

Would it be an accurate assumption that if the laundry basket gets this much ornate detail, the rest of the serious furniture in your house is the stuff of legends?

Would it be an accurate assumption that if the laundry basket gets this much ornate detail, the rest of the serious furniture in your house is the stuff of legends?

Ha, No way! I've only been woodworking about six years and it won't surprise you to learn that I only manage to make one or two pieces a year - needless to say some of the early pieces are less than legendary. Still I like to challenge myself with each new piece and up my game a bit.

I've never really tried this kind of carving before, so I'm a bit nervous about it. The good news is I only need three good panels since one will be essentially hidden at the back - so I can afford to mess up one of them.

Apart from a couple of practice pieces on scrap, this stool is the only carved piece I've done before - so this is a big step up.

post-4067-0-35712900-1437957684_thumb.jp

That stool just needs a white cat eating Fancy Feast. :)

Funny you should say that  - not five minutes after the upholstery was finished, my room-mate's cat declared the stool  was hers. Not white, but I don't have evil plans for world domination ... yet.

post-4067-0-30799200-1438137143_thumb.jp

• Like 2