Laundry Hamper Build

h3nry

Some slow progress here ...

I got the background set in for the final 2 panels.

This was kind of tedious work. Even the book I have on carving techniques, reprinted from 1910, suggests giving this stage to an apprentice to do. That's kind of like using a CNC these days isn't it? So I guess my my new found 2c for that debate ... no it's not cheating at all! I just try not to  involve machines and computers into my woodwork there's enough of that in the rest of my life.

Hopefully now the real fun of carving can begin.

background6.thumb.JPG.d6014a9f169d1769a0background7.thumb.JPG.57298126d939def7f2panelsbackground.thumb.JPG.c105aed2d2e59

And I couldn't resist putting them into the frame to see what I might be going to get eventually.

sneakpreview.thumb.JPG.05b1b4ee3808ae239

• Like 2

Some slow progress here ...

I got the background set in for the final 2 panels.

This was kind of tedious work. Even the book I have on carving techniques, reprinted from 1910, suggests giving this stage to an apprentice to do. That's kind of like using a CNC these days isn't it? .

background6.thumb.JPG.d6014a9f169d1769a0background7.thumb.JPG.57298126d939def7f2panelsbackground.thumb.JPG.c105aed2d2e59

sneakpreview.thumb.JPG.05b1b4ee3808ae239

Interns = CNC machines. I love it!
  • Like 1

Does anyone else find it nuts that there were two simultaneous laundry hamper builds happening between Henry and Marc...both of which were super cool?!?

Yes, Marc's hamper is pretty cool ... His is also finished ... I'll probably still be at it for another couple of months :)

• Like 2

Yes, Marc's hamper is pretty cool ... His is also finished ... I'll probably still be at it for another couple of months :)

It's worth every minute it takes.

If I tried that, I can't even think of how many times I would strike the mallet or push on the chisel and "Boink!" off goes another detail...

Edited by davewyo
  • Like 1

It's worth every minute it takes.

If I tried that, I can't even think of how many times I would strike the mallet or push on the chisel and "Boink!" off goes another detail...

Ha! for sure - let me assure you that many of the leaves are a bit shorter than they were originally drawn. The leaves I can live with "modifying the design" as I go, but that's how to learn how much care is needed around something important - like a bird's beak. Or when all else fails there's always CA glue.

• Like 1

I have a set of Flexcut carving tools - which have interchangeable handles. My set came with two handles, but the problem is I seem to have more than two tools in use all the time, and it got old switching the handles almost every time I wanted to pick up a new tool ... so some time out to make a few handles ... not quite as solid as the originals, but quite functional ...

handles.thumb.JPG.5c5604653f91918ee32de3

So, I've got the border of the first panel carved - far from perfect, but starting to look good anyway...

border1.thumb.JPG.a8fd73cb3257f960c8d139

• Like 1

Woohoo! I didn't think I'd get this far this weekend - Grinling Gibbons I ain't, but the first panel is carved.

I'm told that a good carver never uses sandpaper, getting a finish ready surface straight from the tools ... well, not with my skill set. I can see quite a lot of tedious sanding in the future to clean this up a bit.

panel1carved.thumb.JPG.c5397219112b84cd4

• Like 2

This build is awesome!  Or should I say FREAKING AWESOME!!!  I don't have the patience or steady hand for something like this, you may have needed sandpaper, the only thing I would need is a match to start the fire after I messed it up early on. 

I think I might have the patience and hand/eye coordination, but I don't have the foresight to plan something this intricate. Can you explain the genesis of the idea? Did you see an example out there somewhere and decide to do one yourself? Did your wife say; "Our incredibly ornate bathroom lacks a certain flair; we need something to bump it up a notch."? What was the source of inspiration...which I suspect is as important as the patience it takes?

Thank you very much for going into detail.
 I appreciate your willingness fill us in. I realized just after I hit "submit" that it was kind of an impertinent question; like asking an artist where they find inspiration.

It's wonderful that your "simple box" has morphed. As you can see, I'm intrigued, and I wouldn't be surprised if, like me, many others are following along and "borrowing" ideas and inspiration from your build.

• 3 weeks later...