Laundry Hamper Build

h3nry

It's really coming along Henry. How many hours would you say you've put into carving?

Oh My, I really wouldn't want to add it up - but looking back through this thread I see it's been more than two months I've been working on just the panels.

Got the carving on the last two panels completed ... now there's quite a bit of fiddly sanding to do ... But I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel.

panel3carved.thumb.jpg.7aca1be457ff043ab

And I think this one may be my favourite...

panel4carved.thumb.jpg.7406cd6c41b9d28fe

• Like 2

I went shopping for finishes today - first I went to the furniture selling district of town, where I found about 100 furniture shops, ranging from mainstream showrooms to one-man workshops building custom pieces - but nowhere selling finishes. I did find a shop which sold furniture hardware (which might come in useful one day). I found a paint shop that might have sold something, but it was the sort of place where you just walk up to an iron grill and ask the person behind it for what you want, and they'll go get it for you - but since I didn't know what to ask for, I didn't try. Most of the furniture I saw being built and sold was clearly finished with a high-gloss poly, which I didn't want anyway.

So I ended up back at the "home-depot" type store where I picked up some teak oil, a can of "semi-matt" two-part lacquer, and some rattle-can lacquer (I left the high-gloss poly on the shelf). It turns out that paint-thinner is used in the production of cocaine, so you need to get a permit to purchase it - fortunately that was solved by customer services spending about 10min on the phone with the police.

looks like I'm finishing test boards this weekend.

final dry-assembly:

dryassembly.thumb.jpg.8ec27401baa2a7b659

and the frame to hold the laundry bag.

innerbasket.thumb.jpg.45a9d875cc8e79d274

• Like 1

Henry, that is looking awesome! Maybe I missed it, but what part if the world are you in, that issues permits for paint thinner?

Colombia, been here a bit less than a year now - mostly life here is pretty normal ... but sometimes things like permits for paint-thinner come out and surprise me from nowhere.

OK, I didn't expect this ...

This project was made from 5 different boards. One of them had a very slightly different colour from the other four - presumably from a different tree. I must be improving as a woodworker, because this is the sort of thing I'd usually not notice ... but I did notice it (and now I'm so glad I did), and decided to cut all the panels from that one board, and make the frame from the rest.

I didn't really think about it since then - the difference was very subtle, and the wood responded to tools the same.

I pre-finished the panels and the lid - and they have responded to the finish completely differently; what a difference in colour! The panels have turned a dark almost reddish colour, and the lid has become a more what I expected in a golden-brown colour. All the same species of wood - lesson learned: keeping similar parts from the same board is important.

I think the colour difference might look ok ... It just wasn't what I was expecting!

differentfinish.thumb.jpg.4c75f69286927e

I'm now mentally rehearsing the steps in the glue-up and clamping strategy. I always find glue-ups stressful.

Good call in selecting which parts to come from which board! Those colors look great, would have been a shame to mix the panel and frame pieces up. What species is that, BTW? I had assumed some type of oak by the grain in the photos. I did an accent table, using red oak for the top & shelf, white oak for the legs. It produced a very similar color variation with a coat of BLO.

What species is that, BTW? I had assumed some type of oak by the grain in the photos. I did an accent table, using red oak for the top & shelf, white oak for the legs. It produced a very similar color variation with a coat of BLO.

Good to know that oak will do the same thing.

This is a wood called Flor Morado (Purple flower), but often called purple oak because of the wood's similarity to oak, but's actually a species of Guayacan.

roble-morado.jpg

• Like 2